Difference between "Made it" and "Did it"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by paradoxa4, Apr 20, 2010.

1. paradoxa4

paradoxa4 Senior Member

Venezuela
    Español
    Hello, I had heard about "We did it" when a team won something. But I heard "We made it" in the same movie, so I want to know when must I to use those expressions, and what's the difference between them.

2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Hello paradoxa4,

Obviously we need context to determine if the two expressions are fully equivalent.

As a generality, which may or may not apply to any given context, "We did it" suggests that a specific goal has been achieved, as in "we won the championship game". "We made it" implies that an understood goal has been reached. The latter term may be more apt when travel or movement is involved.

Example: People are climbing a high mountain. When they reach the top, they may use either expression. We made it suggests that they have made their way all the way to the peak. We did it means that they did what they set out to do.

There will be other circumstances in which one or the other expression does not fit well.

3. paradoxa4

paradoxa4 Senior Member

Venezuela
    Español
    Okay chuchuflete, this is the context.

Three guys won a fight and one of them just says "We did it"

Some windows are broken and the mom ask to the kids "¡WHAT HAPPENED HERE?!" and a kid answer "We made it"