Difference: Focus / Concentrate

Discussion in 'English Only' started by as_99, Dec 23, 2009.

1. as_99 Senior Member

Arabic
    I would kindly know the exact difference between Focus and Concentrate.
    Example: Focus on / Concentrate on ?

2. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    Focus conveys the sense of aiming at something. Eg., We are now going to focus on the struggling economy. Concentrate means that you are bringing together many of your options to study or change somethiing. Eg., The president knew that his programs needed to concentrate on unemployment in order to make the Keynesian economic theory work.

3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    In what context, as_99?

4. as_99 Senior Member

Arabic
    In general ...

5. as_99 Senior Member

Arabic
    I am not sure that I got your point...
    Need more exmples, please.

6. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    Think of taking a photograph before there were digital cameras. You had adjustments on the camera which would give you the aim or focus once you made the adjustments. As soon as you were focused then you could decide to concentrate on one element of the photo such as lighting, posing or whatever you need.

The problem with these two words is that English speakers very often use them interchangeably. In conversation everyone will understand what you mean if you employ the wrong one. In written English you should use the one which you can correctly define.

7. as_99 Senior Member

Arabic
    Nice example ... but away from photography and camera, I need to have a clear picture in mind and make right use of these two words.

8. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    Give me a context that you would like to use where one or both of the two words might be employed. I'll see if I can construct an example that is easier to define?

9. Aidanriley

Aidanriley Senior Member

SD, California
    English
    Focus as a noun: something in focus is a central point; the epicenter of something. Concentrate as a noun: usually a product that is potent or strong is a concentrate..for example, a juice concentrate.
    To focus on something and to concentrate on something.. I can't think of an example in which they'd be different.

10. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    Do they ? I have a BrE friend of mine who always says to me to say "focus" instead of "concentrate" (in French, the verb is "concentrer" so it's quite easy to remember). But now, at least, I understand why she said it ;)

11. hdbeat New Member

english
    hi. can you guys help me?
    " I cant focus/concentrate with all that noise going on"

thanks

12. Sedoso

Sedoso Senior Member

Mozambique
    Português
    Good morning you all
    I think it'is odd to use concentrate in this contest so I chosed focus.

E.g: I can't focus with all that noise going on.

I'm not so sure, it was only an idea!