Differences between invoice, bill, and receipt

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Genggeng, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Genggeng Member

Could you please identify the differences between invoice, bill, and receipt?
    In China, when people buy something from a department store or shops, he/she will get a piece of paper on which the name of goods, the price, the quantity, and the sum of money paid are listed. But this paper is only printed and issued by government tax authorities because some tax is included in the money paid by consumers. We call it fapiao in Chinese. How to express it in English word?

Thank you.
  2. maxiogee Banned

An invoice is a bill. It is a list of goods or services provided, itemised and individually priced. There is a total amount due at the bottom. The prices shown are gross, and there may be deductions or additions at the bottom for discounts and or taxes. It is a request for payment.

A receipt is an acknowledgement that payment has been made.
  3. Genggeng Member

Thank you for your reply. So there is no difference between bill and invoice. Am I right?
  4. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Yes. You are right, Gen.
  5. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    Tony and River are correct. In AE, 'invoice' sounds just a little bit more formal than 'bill', but the meaning is identical. In most business settings, we use invoice. In colloquial conversation, we refer to receiving and paying bills.
  6. maxiogee Banned

The etymology of "bill" is thought to derive from the Latin word bulla a sealed document — and is used to mean almost any piece of paper with writing on it - a theatre bill, a handbill, a parliamentary document, a bill of lading all use this meaning.

An "invoice" derives from the French envoyer and carries overtones of something being 'sent' between two places or two parties.
  7. as_99 Senior Member

What is the difference between "invoice" and "receipt" ?

I do not have an example for this but can take this as an example:

We paid half of the due amount and received "invoice" / "receipt" for that.

Please advise
  8. mangoman Senior Member

British English
    An invoice is a request for payment for goods or services, usually in the context of a credit account. (I have an account with you; you supply me with goods, and invoice me for them; 30 days later I pay the invoice.) A receipt is an acknowledgement of a payment, usually in a cash transaction (I buy groceries in a shop; the shop-keeper gives me a receipt).

A "receipt" is the term you're looking for here.
  9. Islamzada New Member

Dari, Afghanistan
    I think there is a different between Bill, Invoice and Receipt

1. Actually Bill is issued after the expenditure you do, like electricity bill, land line and so
    2. The term Invoice is used when you buy some goods and you pay it later, usually it is mentioned there payment due date.
    3. The word Receipt is use when you buy some goods and you pay it on that time.

Good Luck
  10. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    Don't fail to understand that a receipt is an acknowledgement of payment.

You receive an invoice (a bill), you pay it, and are given a receipt which you may need keep as proof that you've paid the bill.