Different meanings for the word for "Money"

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by tFighterPilot, Nov 27, 2011.

1. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Does the word that means "Money" in your languages means only that, or something else as well. I wonder if Hebrew is the only language with this phenomenon. The Hebrew word for "Money" is כסף - "Kesef" which also means "Silver". I assume it comes from a time when silver was a popular currency.
  2. bibax Senior Member

French: argent

Maybe it is in the opposite direction: in some languages silver also means money.
  3. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek money is «χρήμα» ('xrima, neuter noun) since the Classical times («χρῆμα», 'xrēmă) and it lit. means, that which is needed (from the Classical verb «χράομαι/χρῶμαι», 'xrăŏmæ [uncontracted]/'xrŏmæ [contracted]--> to be in want of).
    In the vernacular, money is «λεφτά» (lef'ta, neuter pl.) a derivation of the smaller denomination, the one hundredth of the drachma, the «λεπτόν» (lep'ton), which in plural gives «λεπτά» lep'ta, or colloquially, lef'ta. «Λεφτά» lit. means the very small coins.
    Λεπτά (or λεφτά) besides describing the money is also used for the units of time equal to one sixtieth of an hour (minute) or the units of angular measurement equal to one sixtieth of a degree (minute of arc)
  4. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    In German the two words are Geld (money) and Gold. I would assume that the two are related, but I can't say for sure
  5. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    Portuguese dinheiro only means money, or you may sometimes translate it as fortune or currency, but that is also related with money.
  6. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    In Dutch:
    Zilver = silver
    Geld = money
  7. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

In Tagalog "Money" is "Pera".I believe it came from archaic word " Pira"/"Pila" with meaning " How many". Pira and Pila are still used in Bisaya and Bikol.
  8. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

magyar: pénz [means only money]