1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dimensão andragógica

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by William Stein, Jun 14, 2013.

1. William Stein Senior Member

San Jose, Costa Rica
    American English
    Can anybody explain the "dimensão andragógica" (no, it's not the title of a science fiction movie :)

Não se trata de uma questão meramente técnica ou metodológica relacionada com a dimensão andragógica dos processos formativos.

It is not merely a question of technique or methodology related to the ***dimensão andragógica*** of educational processes.

2. englishmania

englishmania Senior Member

Portugal
    European Portuguese
    Não sei se será útil.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  3. William Stein Senior Member

San Jose, Costa Rica
    American English
    That's very helpful, thanks a lot. I guess "androgogic" must be an English term. I admit it's a clever term as opposed to "pedagogic" but I doubt many readers will know it. I guess I'll put:
    the "androgic" (adult-oriented) dimension of educational processes

4. mglenadel

mglenadel Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    I wouldn't use "androgic" because the "gogic" is a functional Greek radical, meaning to teach (hypnagogic, for example).

5. William Stein Senior Member

San Jose, Costa Rica
    American English
    That's true, but that was just a typo resulting from a jargon-induced stupor (I spelled it right in the first sentence of that same post). By the way, "hypnagogic" logically should mean "sleep-learning", as you seem to imply, but for some reason it doesn't have that meaning in English (it refers to the half-awake/half-asleep twilight zone just before you fall asleep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia)

6. mglenadel

mglenadel Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    You're right. I should've checked it by myself, but I do remember seeing it used in the "sleep-learning" sense in a book once, though it might have been "hypnogogic" (which is not in dictionaries).