1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Dios da pan a quien no tiene dientes

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by belén, Feb 3, 2006.

1. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spain
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Hello foreros:

This expression:

Dios da pan a quien no tiene dientes (or another version: Dios da pan a quien no tiene hambre) it can be literally translated as:

God gives bread to those who have no teeth / are not hungry..

It can be used to mean that people who already have money win the lottery, or a girl who have the most handsome boyfriend in town gets a marriage proposal from George Clooney.

So, it basically means that life is unfair.

Any similar expression in English?

Thank you!

Belén

PS - I would also like to know if it is a used expression in America.

2. Sparrow22

Sparrow22 Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina-Spanish
    Hola Belén.
    encontré esto como traducción al proverbio que mencionas:
    Dios le da sombrero al que no tiene cabeza / Dios le da pan al que no tiene dientes
    • Translation: God gives a hat to those with no head / God gives bread to those that have no teeth.
    sé que debe haber otra (algo con chicken, pero no recuerdo ahora y no lo encuentro tampoco :( )

De todos modos, no sé en el resto de América, en Argentina lo usamos mucho "Dios le da pan al que no tiene dientes" con el significado que mencionas también.

Creo que en otros paises deben usar algo parecido, como el que aparece en lo que copié m'as arriba
    :)

3. mhp Senior Member

American English
    Hi belen,

I was able to find the expression that you mentioned in Oxford dictionary. It gives the equivalent in English as "it’s an unfair world", although I much prefer the translations by Sparrow22 even though I had never heard them before.

4. Sparrow22

Sparrow22 Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina-Spanish

Mhp; I found them here :
    http://quotes.worldvillage.com/i/b/Spanish_proverbs

take a look, you´ll find a lot !!!! :p

5. mhp Senior Member

American English
    Yes I did find that place too :)
    I really like the translations and have no problem understanding what they say. It's just that I had never heard them before. ;)

6. Ron in LA

Ron in LA Senior Member

Huntington Beach, California
    English - United States
    In answer to the first question, there is "The rich get rich and the poor get poorer." The expression was popular in the 1930's, and is included in a song called "Ain't We Got Fun". A comic variation is "The rich get rich and the poor get children."

7. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    I don't know an equivalent and I haven't found one.

If an average person wins the lottery:
    Every dog has his day.
    All good things come to those who wait.

If an average person is rewarded for hard work:
    God helps those who help themselves.

If George Clooney wins the lottery:
    That lucky bastard!

Saludos.

8. Sparrow22

Sparrow22 Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina-Spanish
    haha, Fenix !!! you are right, that´s why Dios le da pan al que no tiene dientes..... apart from being a bastard he doesn´t need the money !!!!!!

did you see the link I pasted ??? thought there was an expression about chickens (it was discussed some time ago in another thread but I can´t find it now).:p

9. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spain
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Thank you for all your help guys!!

Ah, by the way, not only did George win the lottery, he also stole the most handsome guy in town's girlfriend :D