1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. ChocolateLover Senior Member

English
    Hola a todos:

Cuando hay un diptongo o sea cuando hay un vocal débil y fuerte cerca de cada uno se arrastran pero ¿se pronuncia cada vocal del diptongo como se pronuncian en el alfabeto?

Por ejemplo,

Bien se pronuncia "bi-en" Y la "en" no se pronuncian como la "n" inglesa, ¿verdad? Es una más larga y se pronuncia como "ayn", ¿no?

¿es lo mismo con "tienda"(ti-enda)/"hielo" (hi-elo) o en ingles "e-ay-lo"?

Se que son palabras básicas pero estoy tratando de mejor mi pronunciacion.

Muchas gracias!

2. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    No.

"Bien" es una sola sílaba, por lo que no se puede separar así: bi-en :cross:
    Se separa así: bien :tick:
    La "i" se pronuncia como una /j/ (como en inglés, yes)

En "tienda" ocurre lo mismo: tien-da
    Y en "hielo", también: hie-lo

3. softouch_me Banned

peru... spanish
    buen , quien,cuidado,fiado en fin hay mucho.. y no se separan...
    Aldo.

4. ChocolateLover Senior Member

English
    Muchas gracias a los dos

Saludos

5. softouch_me Banned

peru... spanish
    Very welcome .. anytime
    Here is aquestion for you.. Choco....
    How can I say in english:
    Si está a mi alcance...
    thanks

6. lazarus1907 Senior Member

Lincoln, England
    Spanish, Spain
    If you want to split a word into syllables, keep this in mind:

a)Open vowels: a, e, o
    b)Closed vowels: i, u

Two vowels together belong to the same syllable (diphthong), unless both of them are open ones. So:

ai, au, ei, eu, oi, ou are in the same syllable (diphthong), and the stress is on the open one
    ia, ie, io, ua, ue, uo are in the same syllable (diphthong) , and the stress is on the open one
    iu, ui are in the same syllable, and the stress should be on the second one

a-e, a-o, e-o, e-a, e-o, o-a, o-e belong to two different syllables

If you want the closed vowel to be stressed in a diphthong, you have to use the stress mark:

a-í, a-ú, e-í, e-ú, o-í, o-ú belong to two different syllables
    í-a, í-e, í-o, ú-a, ú-e, ú-o belong to two different syllables

7. ChocolateLover Senior Member

English
    Thank you very much

8. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    No oigo ninguna diferencia significativa entre la "n" española y la "n" inglesa en esas palabras.

"bien" se lee "byen"
    "tienda" se lee "tyen-dah"
    "hielo" se lee "yeah-loh" (más o menos)

9. trevorb Senior Member

York, England
    UK: English
    True ... but in a continuous, spoken frase, the above will all form a single syllable when they appear between two different words (though not, supposedly, within words). This is the big secret of Spanish rythm and pronunciation that no-one ever seems to teach, unless you study scansion of Spanish poetry. Although it is a poetic device, it is intended to imitate natural speech paterns.

By the rules of synaloepha (sinalefa), several syllables can blend into one when a sequence of vowles occurs between words. For example in, Francia e Italia there are only four syllables in place of the expected six. The sequence cia e i forms a single syllable.

I won't confuse things with any more detail but you (I mean ChocolateLover, not Lazarus, who doesn't need a foreigner teaching him how to pronounce his own language!) may like to check out http://poesiavirtual.com/index.php?ir=reglas/medida.html. I'm sure I've previously found sites that explain more how this affects pronunciation but I can't find one now.

Sorry - it's just something I got a bee in my bonnet about when I found out about it!

Trevor.

10. ChocolateLover Senior Member

English
    Muchas gracias a todos

Saludos

11. L4ut4r0 Senior Member

Chile, castellano/español
    I say "co-ré-o" but "león" and "teo-lo-gí-a"; "co-re-á-no" but "co-reá-mos". Written accent rules, on the other hand, use the syllabification that Lazarus showed.

This blending into one syllable of two vowels in the same word is called sinéresis (syneresis or synaeresis).