dipyramidole [dipyridamole] stress myocardial contrast echocardiogram

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by mewilson, Dec 17, 2013.

1. mewilson Senior Member

Hola foreros,

Creo que dipyramidole stress myocardial contrast echocardiogram sería ecocardiografía miocárdica de contraste con dipiramidole; sin embargo, no estoy cien por cien seguro de la traducción de "dipyramidole".

2. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano

there is something wrong with your phrase.

dipyridamole (right spelling) = dipiridamol (Spanish); it is used as pharmacologc stress agent, but it is not a contrast.

Please, include some more context and background to clearly understand it, the complete paragraph where this appears will help.
    Is the text's author English-native speaker?

The right phrase would be Dypiridamole stress echo (short for echocardiogram), in Spanish "Ecocardiografia de esfuerzo con dipiridamol"

3. mewilson Senior Member

Thanks, fsabroso. I was hoping you would see this post. Unfortunately, it is from a consent form that has very little context:"The general treatment or procedure to be undertaken: Please circle one: Exercise Stress Echocardiogram, Dobutamine Stress Echocardiogram, Dipyridamole Stress Myocardial Contrast Echocardiogram"

There are about 100,000 google hits for Dipyridamole Stress Myocardial Contrast Echocardiogram, so it's a little odd that I can't find the analogous term in Spanish. How about Ecocardiografía de esfuerzo con dipiridamol y contraste miocárdico?
  4. Bill Osler

Bill Osler Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    fsabroso is correct that the dipyridamole is not a contrast agent. The phrase "myocardial contrast echocardiogram" is the name for a specific echocardiographic technique, and my impression is that it is possible to perform an echocardiographic stress test either with or without contrast. I did find one scholarly article that used the term "ecocardiografía de contraste miocárdico"; I believe that article was originally written in Spanish.
    However, I do not know how to combine the terms in a fashion that makes it clear that this is a dipyridamole stress echocardiogram that uses contrast.
  5. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    You are right Bill Osler; my mind is always more to radiation than ultrasound, that's why I thought "contrast" as "iodine contrast" or "isotopes" but in this case it refers to microbubbles.

About your phrase "dipyramidole stress myocardial contrast echocardiogram" I would say in Spanish "Ecocardiografía de esfuerzo con dipiridamol y uso de contraste"

6. mewilson Senior Member

Sounds good to me. Thanks to both of you.