Direct and Indirect Narration

Discussion in 'English Only' started by impassionate, Nov 18, 2007.

1. impassionate New Member

Pakistan
    Pakistan (Urdu)
    Hi guys,

I have some confusion in this sentence, "A few hours back i was informed by one of my colleagues that i also should say something on the topic of MANAGEMENT in the meeting". Is this sentence grammatically correct?

Please help me out with this sentence as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot in expectancy.

2. baa7ith Senior Member

US English
    It could be better expressed by saying, "A few hours ago I was informed by one of my colleagues that I should also say something on the topic of management at the meeting."

However, this sentence seems unnecessarily cumbersome. I would personally say, "A few hours ago a colleague suggested that I also say something on the topic of management at the meeting."

Furthermore, I think that "topic" is implied if you are going to talk about it. So, you could say, "A few hours ago a colleague suggested that I also say something about management at the meeting."

Also, it's, "I have some confusion about this sentence," not, "In this sentence."

Good luck. :)

3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    It's grammatically correct but doesn't 'flow' very well, in particular when you get to I also. What exactly do you mean by the sentence?

4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello impassionate, and welcome - I see this is your first post here :)

I also wonder what the sentence means.
    "A few hours back I was informed by one of my colleagues that I also should say something on the topic of MANAGEMENT in the meeting".
    Does it mean that I should say something on the topic of management as well as the other topics i am to speak about?
    Does it mean that I should say something on the topic of management as well as the other people who will speak on that topic?

... that I also should say ... suggests the second meaning.
    If you mean the first, then it would be better to change the order to
    ... that I should also say ...

5. impassionate New Member

Pakistan
    Pakistan (Urdu)
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Well, May i ask you why i should place "also" after should?
    Can you please explain it?

6. dumbfounded Senior Member

persian
    A child was walking down the stairs without using railing.
    I told him always use a railing while coming down.
    He replied," He would be careful from now onwards".
    He replied that I would be careful from now onwards.
    Are my both sentences right?