1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

diseño de políticas públicas

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by tr123, Feb 22, 2013.

1. tr123 Senior Member

English-Ireland
    Hi,
    I am translating a sentence from Spanish in to English, however I am stuck on a particular part of it, the sentence is:
    "En este simposio 'saldrán no sólo ideas sobre el futuro del libro, sino también de diseño de políticas públicas' dijo la titular del Consejo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes, Consuelo Sáizar...' This is what I have:
    In this symposium ‘not only will ideas about the future of the book emerge, but also plans for public policies’, said the Secretary of the National Council for Culture and the Arts, Consuelo Sáizar,
    I don't think this is really what it means, would something to do with the design of public policies be better?

2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    A little less literal: This symposium will produce not only ideas about the future of the book, but recommendations for public policy as well.

3. tr123 Senior Member

English-Ireland
    I need to keep the speech in quotation marks as it is in the text. Is the text trying to say that 'ideas de diseño de políticas públicas' will come out of it aswell??

4. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    That's how I read it, yes; "ideas" applies to both the future of the book and the design of public policy.