Disipela = shingles?

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by missyfusy, Jul 18, 2009.

1. missyfusy New Member

i was wondering if there was anyone here that would know what is disipela in engish? And is it shingles? I live in costa rica and my husband has this. But i don't know what to call it in english. Thank you missyfusy
  2. felicity09 Senior Member

English - USA
    I've never heard of 'disipela' but shingles is the name given to a reactivation of the chicken pox virus which is called 'varisela' at least here in Mexico...
  3. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hi missyfussy:

Welcome to WR!

I think it's misspelled:

We in Perú call it "erisipela"

In English exists the term "erysipelas", but the one in Spanish that we use (or misuse) in Perú, has nothing to do with infection but because the sunburn.

4. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

American English
    Wikipedia doesn't mention "disipela" among the colloquial nicknames for shingles in Spanish:
    Here's a thread in this forum that corroborates wikipedia's information: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=19876

So felicity, the re-activation or recurrence of chicken pox is called varicela in Mexico, the same as the chicken pox virus? How do you distinguish between varicela, which is usually contracted by children, and shingles, which occurs in adults? The two usually have different symptoms.
    Missy, this is a dictionary forum, so we ask everyone to use correct punctuation and capitalization. Thanks.
  5. felicity09 Senior Member

English - USA
    I think they're both called varisela and the main difference is that with shingles it's a reactivation and much more painful FenixPollo, but I'm not positive about this...
  6. 1LATINOANDPROUD Junior Member

Spanish/Peru and English
    "shingles" son causados por el mismo virus de la varicela pero es una enfermedad o condición diferente. Solo lo he visto traducido como "culebrilla".
    La disipela es llamada erisipela en países como Perú, pero aparentemente es lo mismo. La traduccion de erisipela en inglés es Erysipelas, “which is an acute streptococcus bacterial infection of the upper dermis and superficial lymphatics”.
    *En Perú cuando te quemas por el sol nos referimos a esas quemaduras como erisipela.
  7. owen23 New Member

As Disipela meaning a distortion, corruption or degeneration and it consists of a pathology of skin characterized by inflammation and redness of legs. It is different from shingles as it can be infection on any part of body like chickenpox. So disipela is less affected at it not affect the face.