dislove

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by Eddie P, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Eddie P Senior Member

Los Angeles CA
    Spanish
    Term: (dislove)

Definition or explanation: To stop loving a person

Example: (I don't want to dislove her because she has done so much for me, trying to keep the relationship going. If I ever dislove her, she'll be definitely heart-broken so I'm afraid to fall in love with someone else that I already like.)

One or more places you have seen the term: (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dislove)

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes __:tick: No ___

2. YMOPA

YMOPA Senior Member

Repub de Tejas
    Russian
    Regarding Urbandictionary reference: there are plenty of bored individuals who entertain themselves by making stuff up and post to there. Since UD imposes no contents control beside voting, anyone can post anything. I find it not any more valid than a reference to graffiti spotted in a public toilet.

3. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    We would like some more examples of the word in actual use to show that it has some currency. Here is one:

Nuka has a darker color then Scar or Taka but Scar was a weak cub to (And lots of people say he was disloved by his father Ahadi). Source: a user blog on lionking.wikia.com.

It's difficult to find examples because most of the results of an internet search are misspellings of dissolved.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  4. Eddie P Senior Member

Los Angeles CA
    Spanish
    Honestly I have a passion for words. If I actually gave the urbandictionary website it's because I didn't have any other but guess what... the meaning of "dislove" exist in the Spanish language as "desamar" and I believe that word can be integrated eventually in the English dictionary. This spot is for that and if we see other example of words contributed previously we can see that at least this word isn't bad. Thanks.

5. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Hi Eddie.

I'm afraid you need to take a look at the guidelines to understand the aim of the Dictionary Additions forum. :)
    Best regards,

swift

6. eno2 Senior Member

El Hierro de Canarias
    Dutch-Belgian
    Unlove and to unlove is widely used.

7. Susan Y Senior Member

Australia
    British English
    I have never come across either "dislove" or "unlove" (unloved, yes).

8. eno2 Senior Member

El Hierro de Canarias
    Dutch-Belgian
    A few samples from internet documents:

House, hurry! 2. You will score for each element you throw! and later you'll be able to see the totals (love vs "unlove") and your contribution to them.
    tamakum.com

Sanction and punish, punish and sanction; fostering violence and unlove.
    unesdoc.unesco.org

How do children and young people escape from so much unlove?
    unesdoc.unesco.org
    If we see tenderness, we live tenderness and we learn to live tenderness, unless it arises negated in our experiences with unlove.
    unesdoc.unesco.org
    There are some people who talk in such a way that when we see their inner selves, they appear as unlovely as their outer selves seem to be comely.
    spurgeongems.org

9. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    The first is written by a non-native speaker, and is being used self-consciously.
    The last isn't unlove ~ it's unlovely, a perfectly normal adjective (un + lovely).

The other three, all from Unesco, are what I'd call 'in-house jargon'. The third of them (in addition) was written by someone with a poor grasp of English.

10. eno2 Senior Member

El Hierro de Canarias
    Dutch-Belgian
    Unesco is NOT an unworthy reference as for the use of language.

The French have their désamour, the Spanish have their desamor. Even the Dutch have their "onliefde". All in their dictionaries. Why shouldn't the English have their unlove?

At further insight "unlove" is in English dictionaries:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  11. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    I didn't say that. I was merely saying that it looks to me like in-house jargon, i.e. not in widespread use by the general English-speaking population.
    I don't dispute that it exists, only that it

12. eno2 Senior Member

El Hierro de Canarias
    Dutch-Belgian
    There is no need for adding dislove in the dictionary nor even for proposing dislove because unlove exists already and is used, perhaps not as widely as I supposed, but it's used. I proved that.

13. neil.corrigan12 New Member

Australia
    english - Australia
    I have never come across "dislove" before. Although "Unlove/d" is a word which I have always encountered many times. It's awkward using dislove when unlove is more widely accepted.