disposition of charges

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Santiago Jorge, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Santiago Jorge

Santiago Jorge Senior Member

Washington
    English, USA
    I am struggling to translate this sentence into Spanish, because all I am left with is a lot of awkwardness. Would you please check it and see if there is any way I can improve it?

This comes from an interstate agreement on detainer form, where an inmate in one state is being sent to the custody of a prosecutor of another state for the purpose of taking him to trial.

Original:
    "I agree also to complete Form IX, Prosecutor’s Report of Disposition of Charges, immediately after trial, and return it to your state with the inmate."

Mi intento:
    «También convengo en completar el Impreso IX, Informe del fiscal sobre el dictamen de cargos, inmediatamente después del juicio, y devolverlo a su estado tan como al recluso».

(MODERATOR EDIT: These forums respond to specific questions about text (one word or phrase in each thread). They do not provide proofreading and rewriting of texts. Thus, discussion should center on the word or phrase in the thread title. Additional source text is accepted only as context; please do not submit it for translation or proofreading.
    A LOS QUE RESPODAN: Por favor, en su mensaje de respuesta, aborden la pregunta específica del hilo, en este caso: "disposition of charges"; si el consultante ha añadido contexto y lo ha traducido (como en este caso), podrá usted agregar a su mensaje de respuesta una breve alusión a algún aspecto general de gramática o vocabulario a mejorar; o, preferiblemente incluso, adjuntar enlaces a otras discusiones que traten sobre estos temas)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. Santiago Jorge

Washington
    English, USA
    Ok.

I am wondering which would be the better translation of
    "Prosecutor's Report of Dispostion of Charges":

«Informe del fiscal sobre el dictamen de cargos»

or

«Informe del fiscal del dictamen de cargos»

3. ampurdan

ampurdan Modstachioed modnster

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    I'm not sure about what "disposition of charges" means, but it seems to be the final decision on the acts charged to the defendant. In this case, I would not use "dictamen", but "resolución", "fallo" or "pronunciamento".

I'd go with "sobre" but is it a report made by the Prosecutor before the disposition or after the disposition of charges?

4. Santiago Jorge

Washington
    English, USA
    It is interesting you said "resolución" because I got to thinking later how that would be better, because this is to be a statement made by the prosecutor regarding the charges after the trial is over.

Thank you for your help, ampurdan!

5. Don Joaquin Escriche Senior Member

New York
    English (US), Spanish (Arg)
    I second ampduran's proposition of resolución for disposition, and I offer resolución de las imputaciones for disposition of charges.

6. Santiago Jorge

Washington
    English, USA
    Gracias, Don Joaquin, por tu ayuda también.

7. PryrLily Senior Member

Queen Creek, AZ
    Colombia/Spanish
    According to Enrique Alcaraz Varo and Brian hughes Diccionario de términos jurídicosdisposición legal: fallo, resolución, sentencia;dictamen de un tribula.

8. PryrLily Senior Member

Queen Creek, AZ
    Colombia/Spanish
    According to Enrique Alcaraz Varo and Brian hughes Diccionario de términos jurídicosdisposición legal:  fallo, resolución, sentencia;dictamen de un tribula.