1. piotr1980 Senior Member

Polish
    Hello,
    I can't find the verb ''to diss someone'' on that webside so will be happy if someone could help me.

What does the verb ''diss'' mean exactly?
    Ex: She dissed Mr X, telling that she was ashamed that he was from the same city''

Many thanks

2. Oranges&Lemons Senior Member

English - England
    "to diss someone" means "to insult someone"
    it means to speak rudely or disapprovingly about someone.
    hope this helps :)

3. Raskolnikovam Senior Member

Paris, France.
    Français.
    I have seen this verb writing with the preposition "on". for instance, "they dissed on me", but you wrote "She dissed Mr X".
    how must I write this verb?

thanks.

4. CDHMontpellier

CDHMontpellier Senior Member

Bristol, UK
    USA-English
    The word is short for "to disrespect", so the obvious use would be "to diss someone", but it's true that you sometimes see "to diss on someone". In any case, it's very informal English, so you can probably get away with just about anything!

5. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    In this case, I agree: insulter :(

6. AlexLuthor2008 New Member

Francais-Savoyard
    It is like for a movie critics, when they are very bad.
    "resoundingly dissed by every critic" , "il a recu un tollé de la par des critiques"

C'est assez fort comme mot.

7. constantlyconfused

constantlyconfused Senior Member

English - British
    Just for clarification, yes, it is quite strong, but it is also extremely informal and generally used by younger people (oh god, that makes me sound ancient).

8. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    I must discourage the use of this bastardized term -though it has crept into everyday language. The term is: *to disrespect another.

Now (Or), unless you're from the hood ( la banlieue ) and you are strapped w/ a Glock '9', & perhaps slingin' rocks, one needn't speak like so -& I'm being serious, here. This is a culturally Black term which has been embraced by White suburban youth in a queer, absurd fashion -in my very humble opinion. I'd like to see more French possibilites.

I'm done. :)

*That which can cost a man his precious life -in any culture. :warn:

9. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    If it is that rude and disrespectful, in the context of a movie critic, I would suggest:
    'les critiques l'ont démoli'.

10. RuK Senior Member

Outside Paris
    English/lives France
    There's a great translation for "to diss" in French -- "traiter". Mais Madame, il m'a traité! I hear this constantly, and in the same way as "diss", it's young urban slang with a gang type tone.

11. poys13 New Member

french
    A great equivalent to 'diss someone' for younger people, and talking about relationships is 'prendre un rateau'.
    She dissed him = Il s'est pris un rateau (elle a refusé ses avances)
    Hope this helps,
    Poys

12. frenchlady

frenchlady Senior Member

France
    French- France
    i think it's a good translation, because in french the good verb is "traiter de" : (ex : il m'a traité d'abruti). But now, young people always say "il m'a traité" (= il m'a insulté) which is absolutely incorrect.

13. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Agreed, it is not correct standard French, but we can't regulate everything, can we, especially not slang. :)
    I agree it's a good equivalent. :thumbsup:

14. The Mystic Junior Member

French
    I think that it's rather " tailler une personne" .

15. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    Elle a cassé M. X en disant qu'elle avait honte d'être originaire de la même ville.

16. funnyhat Senior Member

Michigan, U.S.A.
    American English
    For what it's worth, I think the term is losing its trendiness. I don't hear it quite as much as I did 5-10 years ago.

17. Lizzie26 New Member

français
    Hi,

And what does "diss off you away" means?
    The sentence is: "A painter bought our picture and he diss off you away".

Many thanks :D

18. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Hello Lizzie26, and welcome to the forum. It doesn't mean anything at all, it's nonsense, like some of the other non-standard English ("urban dialect", or whatever) in the song it comes from. Only 17 hits on Google - all of them that same song.

19. Lizzie26 New Member

français
    Thanks for the quick answer.
    I thought the same since I can't find the right translation on the Internet, but at least I wanted to try here :).
    Actually I am translating some songs from the British boyband Blue, and I found this sentence in the song called "Break my heart".

20. Dixxy

Dixxy Senior Member

Switzerland
    French
    Effectivement, sous l'entrée CASSER QUELQU'UN, on trouve comme traduction première "to diss". Bien vu.