District names as psychiatric institutions

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello, I wonder if this phenomenon works also in other languages. Since psychiatric hospitals tend to be quite large and built on the outskirts, people in Hungary and Czech republic can say instead of psychiatric hospital the name of the district and in that concrete contexts that district means psychiatric hospital in general as well. I wonder if there are other big cities, maybe capital cities when a certain district name means psychiatric hospital as well and please write the example. Thank you very much.

Hungary, Budapest - Lipótmező (1. district 2. psychiatric institution)
    Czech republic, Prague - Bohnice (the same)

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    The most known in Russian is Канатчикова дача (Kanatchikov's cottage/dacha), after the locality name where the hospital was built in Moscow in 1894.
    Before 1944 this hospital beared the name of Кащенко (Kashchenko) after the doctor worikng there some time. And this word - Кащенко - is even more known as a common noun in the same sense - psychiatric hospital, though this name doesn't fit your question, of course.

One more example - Белые столбы (White Pillars) - settlement not far from Moscow with a psychiatric hospital well-known since long ago. This name also was a common noun, maybe a bit outdated now.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  3. Orlin Senior Member

София
    български
    In Bulgaria the most famous are:
    1. 4-ти километър - a district in South-East Sofia famous for the neuro-psychiatric hospital.
    2. Курило - a district of the town of Novi Iskar, part of the Sofia agglomeration.
    3. Карлуково - a village in North Bulgaria, approx. 100 km north of Sofia.
    I don't know the names of the hospitals in these places.

4. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    In Baghdad, yes; عصفوريّة = A'sfuuriyya is a district name and also a psychiatric hospital. Actually, the same case is for prisons: أبو غريب = Abu Ghraib is a district as well as a prison.

I think this is psycological, one would not like to say "my son is in a psychiatric hospital or in prison" so one choses to use the name of the district until it slowly becomes the known name of the institution.

5. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    I agree, prisons work in the same way, but it would be too much to talk about them here, too, so maybe in another thread. :)

6. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Athens, the largest Psychiatric Hospital is built in an area outside the City, which initially was very famous for its Medieval (Byzantine) Monastery (with amazing frescoes inside): Δαφνί (ða'fni, n.). Now (unfortunately) when colloquially we speak about Δαφνί, we mean the hospital

[ð] is a voiced dental non-sibilant fricative

7. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    In Finnish we have the same phenomenon: there are at least three psychiatric hospitals that are known by the district where they are: Lapinlahti, Nikkilä and Niuvanniemi. It's very common to mock somebody: "Your domicile must be Lapinlahti / Nikkilä / Niuvanniemi!"

The Nikkilä hospital activity was stopped a long time ago, but still today, if you mention the place name Nikkilä, most of the people get first the idea of a mental hospital.

The Lapinlahti hospital (activities stopped in 2008) is situated in a Helsinki quarter by the same name. There is also an elementary school named Lapinlahti school, where I started my school years. I remember how ashamed I was when somebody asked: "What school do you go to?" and I had to answer: "Lapinlahti".

A couple of decades later we - a group of journalists - were in eastern Finland in a restaurant where we had a bacchanal evening. We were noisy and every now and then we sang a drinking song. A gentleman in the next table got angry and said: "How the hell did you get out of Niuvanniemi?!"

8. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Very interesting. Does it mean the number of people requireing that kind of hospital care is descreasing in Helsinki region? :) here we will need more hospitals of that sort.

9. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    I hope you're right but when I look around here I'm afraid you're wrong.

10. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    We have the same phenomenon in Turkey as well :) There is a psychiatric hospital in İstanbul, in Bakırköy district. Whenever the name pops up, the first thing that comes to people's minds is mental people.

11. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    New answers?

12. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In France, I suppose some older people would recognise "Sainte-Anne", a psychiatric hospital in Paris.

13. ilocas2 Senior Member

There is also a known psychiatric hospital in the village Horní Beřkovice, so the word Beřkovice is also used in the same way as Bohnice.

14. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Also kateřinky (after Svatá Kateřina = Saint Catherine), used in older Czech literature (Schweik, for instance).

Kateřinky is located in the historical centre of Prague.
    Kateřinky on the map, 1840 - 2011. (Irrenhaus means madhouse in German)
    Nowadays there is a neurological clinic.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  15. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area I learned at a young age that the name Napa was often used to refer to the State Psychiatric Hospital in the city of the same name located about 65 km north of Berkeley. When this hospital first opened back in 1876 it was actually called "the Napa State Asylum for the Insane." :eek:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  16. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Strangely, Egypt's famous hospital is in Abbasiya, which is a very important and quite central district of Cairo - but in context it is still quite obvious that the speaker intends the mental institution (We should send him to Abbasiya, that man must have escaped Abbasiya).

17. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Also in Egypt, in the city of Alexandria, the "main" or big governmental psychatric hospital is in a district called Ma'mura (or "ma3muura" as we transliterate it in this forum) المعمورة .

Both Ma'mura and Abbasiyya used to be at the outskirts of their respective cities, but cities gradually expanded to encompass them and they became parts of the "inhabited" districts.

18. Linolenic Senior Member

Arabic
    In Jordan, the biggest psychiatric hospital is referred to as "Al-Fhais" which is the name of the city where the hospital is..
    I used to think that this phenomenon is only in Jordan because it's a small country and things like psychiatric hospitals, cemeteries and prisons are very few so people use the name of the city when talking about them!