División de sílabas

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Karlaina, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Karlaina Senior Member

I am currently here ;)
    English, United States
    Good evening!

I'm just checking out a section of a Spanish grammar text (Avanzando, 6ª ed.) that deals with syllabification. It's all pretty straight-forward, but there's one part that just doesn't make any sense to me:

No se deben separar las sílabas de una palabra quedando al final o al principio de una línea o renglón una sola vocal.

Incorrectos: a-demás y simultáne-o
    Correctos: ade-más y simultá-neo

I don't really understand why the proper syllabifications wouldn't be: "a-de-más" and "si-mul-tá-ne-o." Could someone explain this to me?

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it!

iCiao!

2. talshanir Senior Member

San Jose, California
    Argentina Spanish
    Hi,

It would be "a-de-más" and "si-mul-tá-ne-o", but what the rule explains is that a vowel that is part of a word cannot be left dangling at the beginning or end of the line. If this is about to happen, you have to divide the syllables like: ade-más y simultá-neo.

I hope it helped.

3. lazarus1907 Senior Member

Lincoln, England
    Spanish, Spain
    No es incorrecto, pero se recomienda, por razones de elegancia, que al separar una palabra, ninguna vocal de esta quede sola al final o al principio de una línea:

Entonces vi a mi a-
    migo, y lo saludé.

Es preferible:

Entonces vi a mi ami-
    go, y lo saludé.

4. mhp Senior Member

American English
    Según el DPD es incorrecto.
    2.3. Cuando la primera sílaba de una palabra es una vocal, no se dejará esta letra sola al final del renglón: amis- / tad, y no :cross:a- / mistad. Si la vocal va precedida de una h, sí puede dejarse esta primera sílaba a final de línea: he- / rederos.

5. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Guys, you are talking about two different things, syllabification (how to identify all the syllables in a word) and translineation (how to split a word from one line to the next when writing). It's only in the latter that leaving a dangling letter is advised against, for reasons of esthetics, and perhaps clarity.

6. Karlaina Senior Member

I am currently here ;)
    English, United States
    Oh! This makes so much sense, now that I understand that the rule was referring to translineation...

Thanks, Outsider and everyone!