Dizzy vs Giddy

Discussion in 'English Only' started by saudara, Jun 4, 2008.

1. saudara Junior Member

Spain
    I've looked up both these words (dizzy and giddy) and the definitions are similar, does it mean they are exactly the same? Or is there a difference between them? Thank you

2. bbip Senior Member

France
    English GB
    They are very similar, but giddy tends to be a feeling from when, for example, you are high up and looking down to the ground makes you feel odd.
    You can use dizzy in the same situation, but you can also use it when you are ill or feeling a bit faint etc.

3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Giddy is also often used to describe a feeling of excitement: light-headed with excitement:
    When Brian met Ewie he became quite giddy with the excitement of it all.
    And dizzy can of course be used (in BE at least) to describe a trait of character: (easily) confused:
    She's so dizzy she's constantly forgetting to turn up for appointments.
    In fact the more I think about it, the more different the two words become.

4. Tess64 Junior Member

French
    Hello everyone!
    I'd like to know if there's a huge difference between "giddy" and "dizzy"? I'm translating a text in which the main character is watching the crowd and he feels giddy...or dizzy...which one corresponds best to the situation?
    thx

5. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    There is no significant difference in meaning although there are informal phrases that conventionally use only one of the words. What is your suggested sentence?

6. Tess64 Junior Member

French
    it's just with the verb to feel, "he felt giddy or dizzy", I think both are ok, but I was wondering about the difference of meaning conveyed in each case

7. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    In my usage, dizzy is more the physical feeling of my head turning and giddy is more an emotional lightheadedness. This may be entirely idiosyncratic.

8. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Hello.

I've got a question about dizzy/giddy (with + noun).

Context: I went up to collect an award.

Sentence: I felt giddy/dizzy with excitement when I received the award.

My question: What would be the difference between dizzy and giddy in this case? Dizzy is a physical feeling and giddy is all about emotions (you're happy and excited)?

Thank you.

9. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Hello, Blasita. Either word seems normal to me in that particular sentence. Reading it, I wouldn't be able to distinguish the various excited sensations it might express. Instead, it would tell me that you were so excited that you felt something unusual.

10. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Hello, Owlman. Thanks a lot for your help.

11. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Hullo Blasita. For me giddy with excitement would definitely be 'brimming over with pleasure', whereas dizzy with excitement would definitely be '[physically] light-headed with anticipation':)

12. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Hi Ewie.:) I see. Thank you very much. Cheers.

13. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

There is another meaning of 'giddy' which is probably worth a mention, even if it doesn't really answer the questions asked in this thread:

In my childhood, I remember hearing my mother warn, "this will end in tears - they (the children in question) are getting giddy now". What she meant was that we had become over-excited and that our behaviour was getting out of control. We were not being intentionally naughty, but had become what I think in modern parlance might be known as 'hyper' or 'high'.