do a research / make a research

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Gema, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Gema New Member

Elche, Alicante, Spain
    Spain Spanish
    Hi! I'm a spanish girl. Now I'm doing an english course and I must do a writing for monday. I have a doubt. Which of this two options is correct, "do a research" or "make a research"? Thank you in advance for your help.

2. rinks New Member

''Do a research , is more appropriate..although you can very well say i am going to research on this subject
  3. Gema New Member

Elche, Alicante, Spain
    Spain Spanish

Thank you very much! You have been very quick.
  4. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Hi Gema,

(Yes, this type of question is much more appropriate.) Welcome to the forum!

For many "hacer un ..." constructions in Spanish, we just use the verb form of the noun. So, we would usually say "We researched" or "We are researching."
  5. hypertweeky Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    "Do a research", there are different uses for make and do, this is one of them:)
    Good Luck!:)
  6. atignirgal Senior Member

UK English
    Personally, "to do a research" sounds wrong to me. "To do research" (without the article) is OK but not brilliant English. "To research", as mkellogg said, is probably your best option. You can also say "to conduct research (into/on something)". Definitely DON'T say "to make research".

Sorry if I've confused things by adding yet another opinion! I avoided doing so for a while, but the compulsion just became too strong :D
  7. el alabamiano Senior Member

You can also use:

I'm going to do some research / I did some research /
  8. atignirgal Senior Member

UK English
    yup! .
  9. Mary Solari Senior Member

Argentine living in Spain Spanish
    Hi, Gema. As far as I know, "research" is uncountable, so you can say:
    Do some research or
    Do a piece of research,
    but not
    Do a research
  10. Norman P. Bock New Member

United States, English
    If you are using "research" as a noun, you would say doing "research" or do "research". But "research" is also a verb. So you can either say "I am going to do research on the causes of the civil war." Or you can just say, "I am going to research the causes of the civil war."
  11. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    "To research a subject" (not ON a subject) suggests something relatively in-depth. "To do research on a subject" suggests little or partial research. "To conduct" or "carry out" research on a subject would be a more elevated way to express the same idea. As was said, definitely not "make." Hope this helps.
  12. duden Senior Member

I have been told recently by an English teacher that the only possibility to express something like this is to say

"to do research INTO something"

and that the preposition "ON" cannot be used in context with "research".
    So I searched for older threads on the topic and I found this one.
    On the basis what you have written, is this completely wrong? Or is it possible to say both "ON" and "INTO"?

13. azoozee New Member

to do a research on a topic is more common

I hope that I helped you
  14. Wilma_Sweden

Wilma_Sweden Moderatös

Lund, Sweden
    Swedish (Scania)
    I have also found that you can undertake or carry out research, and that into and on are valid prepositions. However, when using research as a verb, my dictionaries (Longman & Cambridge online) give into as the only valid preposition.

I have also found research used in the plural, e.g. scientists being awarded the Nobel Prize for their researches into [whatever subject], and I'm assuming that this is idiomatic if you are referring to multiple research projects.

15. Italy8868 New Member

French-Belgium / German (bilinguial)
    Hi! I actually have a question about what follows the word research. Can you say, f. e. , I did some research about it, or should it always be on/into or without anything like > I researched it.
    I'm really confused and I don't know what's wrong or right anymore.
    Thanks for your help.
  16. thoughtdots Member

English - United States
    Let's say I researched World War II. I think it sounds better to either say,

"I researched WWII" or "I did research on WWII".

However, if you use any other preposition, people will still understand you.
  17. lucigalati Member

"I'm going to" actually is a future form, it has nothing to do with the question.