Do I have to use ты, мы and вы in these sentences?

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Irzen, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Irzen New Member

Hungarian
    Hello,
    I just started to learn Russian language. I would like to ask if I have to use personal pronouns in simple present sentences and questions. Here are some examples.
    что ты делаешь? куда ты идёшь? что вы хотите? я не люблю собак. And so on.
    Are these sentences correct WITHOUT я, ты, вы? Do they mean the same? I would like to know if I can ignore personal pronouns in present sentences, because I cannot really pronounce "ы", it sounds really ridiculous when I try to... : ( And in these sentences everyone knows who I am talking about. (I know that I have to use the pronouns in past sentences).
    Thank you! Мне очень нравитcя русский язык!!!

2. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Hi Irzen, welcome to the forum.

The pronouns can be omitted, but I would not recommend that. It makes the sentences much more colloquial or sometimes even rude (in the case of куда идёшь? чтo/чего хотите?). As you continue to study Russian and become fluent, you will be able to "feel" the register and assess when it is appropriate to skip the pronouns, but for now keep them.

I would suggest learning how to pronounce ы, because you will not be able to avoid it in Russian
    .:)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  3. rdimd Junior Member

Riga
    Latvian, Slow Russian
    I agree that it wouldn't be OK to omit pronouns.

And of course it is a good idea to learn how to pronounce ы. ;)

But many Latvians somehow manage to get around without pronouncing ы properly. By the way, Latvian phonetics are quite similar to Hungarian.

So, I remember one of my professors who talked like this - Vsze mi znа́jem, sto vsze sztugyenti ljentyа́ji no tyem nye mе́nyeje damasnyije rabо́ti gyelaty prigyoca.

I used Hungarian letters because the corresponding sounds are quite similar to Latvian ones.

Of course, it is not a good idea to speak with such accent but if this is a big problem, don't worry and concentrate on more important topics.

4. Shu66 New Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    In addition. You don't want to omit "Вы" (singular formal 'you'). It sounds impolite indeed. Although omitting "ты" (informal 'you') and "вы" (plural informal 'you') is more natural in colloquial.

5. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    Actually, it's quite the same in the past tense. Matter of style, register, and wish of moment. No significant difference with the present tense.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  6. CKM367 Senior Member

Russian
    I would add that the correct form is "чего хотите", not "что хотите".

7. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Why so? Чего и что just have a bit different sense (like нарезать колбасы vs нарезать колбасу):

Чего вы хотите, рыбы или курицы?
    Что вы хотите, рыбу или курицу?

8. CKM367 Senior Member

Russian
    Of course, in certain context, "что вы хотите" is quite correct (e. g. "что вы хотите сказать?") but just "что хотите", "что изволите" does not sound all right (I cannot say why). Though, that may be so because I live in St. Petersburg; in other regions "что хотите" may be common like using the word "едь" instead of "езжай" or "займи мне сто рублей" instead of "одолжи мне сто рублей".

9. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I think that taken alone both "Чего хотите?" and "Что хотите?" sound awful.
    Что вы хотите? rather refers to something whole or indivisible (Что вы хотите сказать, заказать).
    Чего вы хотите? rather refers to a part of something (Чего вы хотите из еды, etc.).

10. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    Does not work. "А вы чего хотите – чтобы вас надули, как цыплёнка?" No parts, just one wish. "Выбирайте, что вам завернуть". The customer is choosing his purchase, selecting a number of things out of a yet greater number of things.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  11. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I wrote about a nuance of sense, not about strict relation. However in many cases this nuance of Partitive is very clear (like in нарезать колбасу vs нарезать колбасы).