1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

do / make a project

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by prettywoman, Jun 13, 2008.

1. prettywoman Junior Member

México
    Mexico, spanish
    Hi everybody! I don´t know if "make a project" is correct or it should be "do a project". Do you know if there are list or certain rules in the usage of make and do? Thanks for your help.
    Bye, love
    prettywoman

2. charisma_classic

charisma_classic Senior Member

Tennessee
    English, U.S.A.
    It should be "do a project".

In general, use the verb do when you are performing an action or task. Use make when you are building or creating something.

3. rachel0209 New Member

USA
    Spanish (El salvador)& English
    i agree with charisma it's, i.e " i will do the project on my own."
    "I will start making the project tomorrow" i think thats how it works
    correct me if im wrong . :eek:)

4. prettywoman Junior Member

México
    Mexico, spanish
    Thanks a lot Charisma!

5. Jenny cosmos Junior Member

Vaucluse
    English
    I might "start", "carry out", "undertake" or "complete" a project but I wouldn't either make or do it

6. charisma_classic

charisma_classic Senior Member

Tennessee
    English, U.S.A.
    I would say, "I'll start the project tomorrow."

The project is still something to do, not to make. I am performing a task, not creating. I could say, "I'll start making the posterboard for the project tomorrow."

7. prettywoman Junior Member

México
    Mexico, spanish
    Dear Rachel, why do you write "will do the project" and then "start making the project? those answers make me feel confused, and that's why I don't understand the differences between them. Thanks for writing!

8. rachel0209 New Member

USA
    Spanish (El salvador)& English
    because thats the difference...... you can do a project because you are refering to it as a performing, and start making the project because you are performing a task.....maybe im confusing you too much ignore if im not helping :eek:(

9. pozzo

pozzo Senior Member

EE.UU.
    inglés canadiense
    When you are in the process of working on the project it is definitely fine to say that you are doing the project. However, if when you say "the project" you are referring to something that you are building or preparing, then it would also be possible to say that you are making it.

=What are you doing?
    -I'm making a piece of art out of sticks and glue.
    =What are you doing that for?
    -Because it's my project.
    =Oh so you're doing your project?
    -Yeah. I'm doing my project.

=What are you doing?
    -I'm making my project.
    =You're making your project already? What on earth is it?
    -My project is a piece of artwork. I'm making it out of sticks and glue.

In this case the line is a bit blurry since depending on what you mean it could go either way.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  10. maghanish2 Senior Member

United States - English
    En mi opinión creo que en este caso son intercambiables.

I'm doing the project that she gave us.
    I'm making the project that she gave us.

Me suenan lo mismo. Quizá to do sirve mejor aquí pero en realidad los dos me suenan raros.

11. pozzo

pozzo Senior Member

EE.UU.
    inglés canadiense
    Creo que to do es mas seguro que to make en este caso. Pero también creo que con el buen contexto ninguno de los dos suena raro. En mis ejemplos de arriba me suena perfectamente. No sé qué opinas maghanish.

12. maghanish2 Senior Member

United States - English
    Pues no suenan raros en los ejemplos que diste, no. Pero cuando digo las frases en voz alta por alguna razón suenan extraños. No lo comprendo.