do me wrong

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Silverobama, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Silverobama

Silverobama Senior Member

Chongqing
    Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hi,

I sometimes use "why don't you do me right" in my articles or oral English, but does "why do you do me wrong" makes sense too?

Thanks

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I'm afraid that neither
    - "why don't you do me right"
    nor
    - "why do you do me wrong"
    makes much sense to me, out of context; the first is more confusing than the second.

What do you want the expressions to mean, Silver?

3. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    It is a correct phrase, but I think it would better for you to say "why do you treat me poorly/bad (informal)" or something similar.

4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    As I said in another thread, you really should do some basic research before posting a question here. For example, look at the current usage of these phrases.

do me wrong

do me right

5. Silverobama

Chongqing
    Hi, Mr.P, I really used the search engine in our forum, but even I tried your links, I see nothing about "do me wrong" and "do me right", I did it before asking this question, or, if you still have doubts, I wonder if I can send you the screen grab that the links you provided?

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If you had looked at the "in context" links for these phrases you would have seen that each is used three times in current media.

What does that tell you?

It tells me that these expressions are used in some very specific contexts and that they are not natural everyday English.
    The links also show me how they are used.

On that basis, I would avoid using these phrases in my articles and in my oral English.

7. Silverobama

Chongqing

Thanks, I really don't know the function "in context", last time Cagey also used it but I thought he might use the local search engine, now I see, and it would save our time next time.