Do not take me seriously

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Silverobama, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Silverobama

Silverobama Senior Member

Chongqing
    Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hello everyone, one of my friend is very stingy, easy to get irritated. Once when I was having dinner with her in a vegetarian restaurant, because at that time one of my teacher was there too(she invited her for a dinner), she still wanted us not to order the expensive dishes, I know her like a book, so I guess she must say "Hey, Silver, The alfalfa sprout is not good for the health, it used to be the common fodder of horses."(Becase once when she was having dinner with me, she told me roasted goose was not that delicious as roasted duck, but indeed, the latter is much cheaper than the former), and then she really said it, then I said:

"You have a car worth 350,000 Yuan RMB, One alfalfa sprout is only 8 yuan RMB, you are really an account"

Then she looked daggers at me without saying anything, and I figured out she might be really irritated by what I said, and I just followed with a sentence:

"Don't take me seriously"

I wonder whether my last sentence makes sense in the situation, or it never ever appear in this way, usually we say "don't take it seriously"

Thanks

2. Yes, Silver, it makes sense in that situation.

You'll also hear '...just kidding' or '...only joking'.

Rover

3. Silverobama

Chongqing
    Thanks, Rover.

4. Aardvark01

Aardvark01 Senior Member

Midlands, England
    British English (Midlands)
    I understand what you mean from the context, but there are other ways of expressing this with varying nuances/degrees of assertion:

Explaining yourself or being apologetic:

I'm only joking /I was only joking
    I'm only teasing/I was only teasing
    I'm only winding you up/I was only winding you up

Giving instruction or asserting yourself:

Don't take offence/be offended
    Don't take yourself so seriously

5. Silverobama

Chongqing
    Hello, Aard, Why here you said "Don't take yourself so seriously"

Thanks for your words.

6. Aardvark01

Aardvark01 Senior Member

Midlands, England
    British English (Midlands)
    Don't forget to use a question mark "?" at the end of questions.

Your friend is irritated but you want her to see the situation is funny. You can give:
    A/ a passive response ("don't take me seriously"/"I'm only joking"...)
    or
    B/ an assertive response like this which means you think she is being too serious. However, this response can make the tension worse if she is proud or does not have a sense of humour.