1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

do scuba diving

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Ocham, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Ocham Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Is "do scuba diving" commonly used? I know "scuba dive" works
    as a verb, but I'd like to know another way to express the same
    activity. Is there any idea?

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I've heard divers use the simple "go diving". That's probably the simplest and most common way to mention a diving trip.

3. Ocham Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Thanks a lot, owlman.

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Indeed.
    I suggest you resist what appears English learners' belief that "do" + gerund is universally acceptable.

5. Ocham Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    OK. I'll resist.

6. ghotioutofh2o Senior Member

USA
    American English
    Go diving has a different connotation than go SCUBA diving. To go diving has the implication that you're jumping off the edge of a pool, a diving board, or a platform. To distinguish this from other types, you need the adjectives: SCUBA diving, free diving, sky diving, skin diving, etc.

I supposed sort of needless to say, I'd use go SCUBA diving. However, "do you SCUBA dive?" does work, but "do you go SCUBA diving?" works better.

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    In my experience, this is not true. No one participating in board or platform diving has ever left the house and said, "I'm going to go diving" (to my knowledge). Just as no sport parachutist ever talks about "going diving" to refer to leaping from a plane.

I would say that "go diving" means going underwater. If you want to differentiate between scuba and snorkeling, you can certainly do that if you think it's relevant or interesting or important.

Scuba, by the way, is almost universally lowercased in dictionaries these days -- it's moved on from being an acronym.

8. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Inasmuch as I have a son-in-law and several friends who regularly go scuba diving, I fully support Copyright's post.

9. Santanawinds Senior Member

English - USA
    Great thread, it brings some questions to mind.

What about when you want to explain that you "practice" or "train" or "enjoy recreationally" scuba diving. Then you could say:
    - I do scuba diving.
    - I'm into scuba diving.
    - I scuba dive.
    - I go scuba diving twice a week...

As far as differentiating diving as the act of entering the sea from diving as the action of swimming under its surface is concerned, I'm not sure!

Ex. I dove into the sea thinking there were no sharks. But after diving for about ten minutes, a shark came along. I knew my kids were diving from the pier, so I quickly surfaced and shouted to them, "Quit diving! Shark alert!"

etc.
    I guess that's all OK. But there's a lot of diving going on and if I were to write about such a scene, I'd try to choose synonims for some of these divings.