1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

do you hear that ㅃ consonant?

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by vientito, Sep 1, 2012.

1. vientito Senior Member

Here's a short snippet of a conversation. There are two sounds that out of all sincerity I could not make out at all

First is the 바 sound for 바봅니까.. the second one is that 뻔 sound 뻔히 알면서 (which sounds like 언야 면서 to my ears)

I wonder if there's something wrong with my own hearing, with the quality of the recording or in fact all of you native ears actually detect that?

Normally I do not have too much trouble with ㅃ, ㄲ, ㅆ but this one I have to say that the many times I replay it I still could not be sure it is there.

PS with prior approval of audio posting from Rallino
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  2. 경상남도로 오이소 Junior Member

He says 뻔히 알면서 가게 just like most Koreans do.
  3. jakartaman Senior Member

It has a lot to do with being a native speaker.
    We already know everything so even if someone slurs a word,
    it registers with us.

Americans slur a lot when they speak English
    but if you're a native English speaker, most of the time
    you know what they say.
  4. 미치겠다 야 상두, 너 이리와.

제가 바봅니까?(제가 바보입니까?) 가면 때릴 거 뻔히 알면서 가게?

As like all languages, native speakers know the range of the variation of the sound, which means if one says "뻐니 아며서 가게"(it is a wrong pronunciation, and we don't actually say like this) but we can understand it as "뻔히 알면서 가게", because we can't make another combination with that sound.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012