Do you think it's going to rain?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Lore_pr, May 6, 2011.

1. Lore_pr Junior Member

Spanish
    1.Look at those clouds. Do you think it is going to rain?
    2.Look at those clouds. Do you think it will rain?
    Which of these two sentences is better? I thought it was the first one, because you're asking for a prediction based on present evidence. But, can the second one be more adecuate because you're asking for an opinion?
    Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Lavernock Senior Member

Spain
    wales English
    In the question form I would opt for "will". In the affirmative. Look at those clouds. It's going to rain.

3. Dale123456 Senior Member

England UK
    English
    Over here in England, we would use number 1 far more frequently.

It sounds much more natural, but they are both fine grammatically.:)

4. Lavernock Senior Member

Spain
    wales English
    Hi Dale,

I don't agree. When we use the verb "to think" it's more common to use "will".

I think he'll pass the exam is more natural than I think he's going to pass the exam.
    I don't think he'll pass is better than I don't think he's going to pass the exam.
    We tend to use "going to" when we say what someone has decided to do, for something premeditated. I'm going to make some tea. (not I'll make some tea) But Ithink I'll make some tea.

5. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Hi Lore pr! I have to agree with Dale: as a Brit I would naturally say, "Look at those clouds! Do you think it's going to rain?" Prehaps Welsh usage is slightly different.

6. gringuitoloco Senior Member

Florida
    American (awesome) English
    In America, it is more natural (In my opinion) to say Do you think it's gonna rain? Because we like using gonna a lot, I guess....

7. Lavernock Senior Member

Spain
    wales English
    Hi Gringi and Wandering
    Thanks for your answers

What about these examples: You meet a friend in the street, he tells you:"John's in hospital". You say: "Is he? (i.e. you didn't know) I'll go and visit him. Or "Yes I know" I'm going to visit him. The second answer suggests you already knew and had already decided to visit him. The first answer suggest a spontaneous reaction to news you hadn't heard before.

One more. You see Jane and she says," I'm going to Paris on Monday." You say,"are you? I'll take you to the airport." (Spontaneous decision) Not I'm going to take you to the airport. Later you see another friend. You say: Jane's going to Paris on Monday, I'm going to take her to the airport." (something already decided)(also possible I'm taking her..) But Not I'll take her to the airport. Do you still think either will do?

8. gringuitoloco Senior Member

Florida
    American (awesome) English
    That is correct.