Do you want to go out with me?

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by mfprado, Oct 15, 2008.

1. mfprado New Member

Brazilian Portuguese
    Hello!
    Could anyone tell me how to ask a girl out in Romanian?
    Maybe a translated form of "Do you want to go out with me?" or "Would you go out with me?", but it would be very nice if anyone tell me the way you romanians ask your girls out.
    Thank you very much.

2. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Hi,
    I suppose it would be very natural to say "Vrei să ieşim la o cafea?" (Would you like us to go out for some coffee?). It depends a lot on the nature of your relationship (co-worker / girl next door / friend that you want to know better / model you just met on the street... :))

3. mfprado New Member

Brazilian Portuguese
    It's a friend I would like to know better... I'm brazilian, she is romanian and we live in france, i think it would be nice to ask her out in different languages...
    So i look for a way to ask her out in romanian, maybe not for a coffee, for anything, i would love just to ask her out...
    Thank you again...

4. lapalixx New Member

Italy
    Italian
    I think that "Vrei sa iesi cu mine?" (Do you want to go out with me?) or "Ai dori sa iesi cu mine?" (Would you like to go out with me?) should be ok.
    But I am not a native speaker!:rolleyes:

5. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Yes, they're OK. I'll just add the diacritical marks ;)

Vrei să ieşi cu mine?
    Ai dori să ieşi cu mine?

6. OldAvatar Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Come on!
    No offence to anyone but Vrei să ieşi cu mine sounds awful!

First, you should ask her what is she doing tomorrow night, for example...
    Then, you tell her that you're thinking to go out somewhere. As simple as that.

- Ce faci mâine seară? Mă gândeam să ieşim pe undeva...

7. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    None taken :D.

I don't think it sounds awful. It's a good enough translation of "Do you want to go out with me?" (I actually like "ai dori să..." less). The English version is almost as silly as the one in Romanian anyway.

Having said that, thanks for joining in the thread, and for your suggestion. I believe it probably matches mfprado's context. :)

8. lapalixx New Member

Italy
    Italian
    I agree, in the real life a "less direct" invitation works much better:D!! But the purpose was to have a literal translation(!), not to choose the best way to ask it.
    P.S: Mersi pentru ca m-ati pus semnele diacritice!

9. mfprado New Member

Brazilian Portuguese
    I would like to thank you all for the help with the Romanian translations and would like to inform that you saved my life...

Thank you all very much!

10. It seems to me there is a possible misinterpretation here.

Typically we think "Would you like to go out with me?" as kind of the silly, middle school, "become a person who is going out with me" question, or just some kind of general in the future - type question. In this case Old Avatar's reaction is quite correct. It is silly/awkward.

But is can also be a more simple "would you like to go out [tomorrow]?" that anyone might casually ask any friend, romantic intention or otherwise. This would be a little less silly and correspond more clearly to your suggestions.

11. Robyyz Junior Member

Romania:D Arad
    Romanian
    I think it's not so polite to ask"Vrei să ieşi cu mine?"
    It's to direct and if you don't know well that person....it's embarassing too:p
    More polite,however,would be as there was said before me...(to make a short introduction) followed by :
    "Ce faci (when you want e.g.:tonight=deseară,tomorrow=mâine and so on..)...? Pot să te invit la (where you want to for e.g:at dinner=la cină,in the city=în oraş and so on...).
    For example:
    Ce faci astă seară?Pot sa te invit să luăm cina împreună?

That's my opinion. :D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  12. viuchi Senior Member

France
    Romanian - Romania
    I totally agree with Robbyz and OldAvatar. Vrei să ieşi cu mine sounds to me like a literal translation from English, one of the unfortunately too many "furculision" examples that have lately become so frequent in Romanian.
    We're talking here about the right linguistic expression to be used in specific circumstances, it's a matter of pragmatics. Different situations are addressed in different linguistic ways in different languages. This is why we have, for instance, Fumatul interzis in Romanian, whereas English (No smoking), French (Défense de fumer), Spanish (Prohibido fumar) and so on, all use different structures for conveying the same meaning; nobody would dream of translating No smoking by *Niciun fumat (?) or any other supposedly "faithful" or literal expression, or Défense de fumer by Interdicţie de a fuma.

So, the right way to ask a girl out in Romanian would indeed be, in my opinion, asking first Ce faci diseară?, for example. And then proposing a plan, like Vrei să mergem la film?/Vrei să bem ceva?, etc.