docket sheet

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by robjh22, Dec 21, 2012.

1. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    A docket sheet is a sheet of paper or card maintained in a case file at the courthouse. Notes thereon are made by the clerk, sometimes by the judge, to indicate some action or development. I suggest "hoja de control" or "hoja de registros," but this is just a guess. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. badgesus Junior Member

Yes, it is also a summary of any action taken on the case, like a timeline. Any words that help capture summary or timeline?
  3. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    Well, there is the old standby "cronograma." So....

Cronograma de eventos?
  4. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I'm seeing "sumario de causas."
  5. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    Thanks, K.

"Sumario de causas" is, I think, the docket itself, which is a list of all the different cases that will be heard on a given day in a given court.

A "docket sheet" is as I define it above, though it's probably mis-named, as it applies only to one case and reflects activity in that case alone.

Anyway, I needed "sumario de causas" in my quiver. I had always called the docket the "lista de causas" but never trusted my translation.
  6. Tochka Senior Member

It is not a misnomer. A docket sheet is basically as you've described it. A "docket" is basically a system of recording items or events. What you and most of us refer to as simply a "docket", is actually the "docket" of the court and lists what cases are being heard by the court. The docket sheet has the "docket" of the case. A lawyer will also "docket" an action in his or her own tickler file system, by noting the matter and what needs to be done at what time, in order to make sure important deadlines are not missed.
    In case it helps other hispanohablante forum members to come up with the correct term, aqui es un ejemplo de "docket sheet" from a New York case.* You will see it begins with the name of the court, the case number, the parties' and their counsels' names, and the name of the judge assigned to the case, then shows a chronological listing of every filing and action taken in the case. (The actual list of filings and actions begins several screens down.)

*These are a sampling of the first entries:
    03/10/2010 COMPLAINT against _______ , Disclosure Statement on Civil Cover Sheet completed -No, ____ (Attachments: # (1) Civil Cover Sheet)

03/10/2010 FILING FEE: $ 350.00, receipt number ____________

03/10/2010 Summons Issued as to ________

04/05/2010 2 Corporate Disclosure Statement by ______

04/05/2010 3 Defendants' ANSWER to [1] Complaint, Class Action by _________

04/07/2010 4 SCHEDULING ORDER: An initial conference has been scheduled in the above-captioned case on MAY 12, 2010 at 9:30 AM, before the Honorable Cheryl L. Pollak. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cheryl L. Pollak on 4/7/2010.

05/12/2010 5 MINUTE ENTRY for Initial Conference proceeding held before MJ Pollak on 5/12/2010. Mandatory disclosures due 5/14/10. Parties to exchange document requests and interrogatories by 6/18/10 - responses 7/19/10. Depositions of 2 named plaintiffs to be completed prior to next conference on 9/20/10 @ 10:00 AM.

06/08/2010 ELECTRONIC SCHEDULING ORDER: The parties are Ordered to appear for a telephonic conference before the undersigned on June 9, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cheryl L. Pollak on 6/8/2010.

06/08/2010 ELECTRONIC RESCHEDULING ORDER: Upon consent of the parties, the telephonic conference is rescheduled for June 9, 2010 at 4:30 p.m. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cheryl L. Pollak on 6/8/2010.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  7. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    [Unnecesary comment deleted by moderator]

I'm going with hoja de avances or registro de acciones until I hear something better, which I don't doubt exists.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
  8. Anwar Boylston Senior Member

New York
    U.S.A.; English
    Rob, my legal dictionary, MERL Diccionario Juridico Bilingue, gives this: "registro (resumido) de todas las actuaciones en autos." The translation in MERL lines up exactly with your thinking: the record of an individual litigation and not a list of all cases before the court.

Does this help, even in part?
  9. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    Yes, Anwar, it's perfect. Thanks so much.

But ... it's a little long for my purposes. "Docket sheet" is three syllables; the one from your dictionary is 17 syllables. It would be "chatty" to explain why I need a shorter version, but I suspect that even the functionaries in whatever court that uses "registro de todas ..." has some abbreviated version. Perhaps "Registro de actuaciones" would serve, which is close to my last suggestion, "registro de acciones."

I daresay they would say "el registro" among themselves, and context would make it clear what kind of registro they referred to.
  10. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

What court system is this for, anyway?
  11. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    All state criminal courts in the U.S. that I am familiar with have and refer to "the docket sheet." Sometimes they say "the docket" for conversational economy, but that clearly refers to "la lista de casos" or your "sumario de causas."
  12. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Just wondering why you need this behind-the-scenes kind of term in Spanish ...
    Why don't you call up a court in Puerto Rico and ask?