1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

documenti irregolari

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by gettingby, Feb 12, 2013.

1. gettingby Senior Member

Italy
    AmEnglish
    Hello all! What about (in the context of a translation regarding the difficulties of life in gypsy camps where immigrants lack proper papers) the term "documenti irregolari"?

Here is the Italian:
    I documenti irregolari e le situazioni di fatto. la più preoccupante situazione di irregolarità creata, per così dire, legalmente, appare quella di coloro i quali hanno attraversato i censimenti della cosiddetta “Emergenza nomadi."

my attempt (which I do not like much)
    ??Unofficial?False?Improper? documents and "de facto" situations: these are the most worrying ? illegal/improper/irregular? situations of all, which have been created "legally," so to speak, for those who have been counted by the censei of the so-called "Gypsy Emergency."

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

Wales
    English (Ireland), Welsh, Irish
    What exactly are documenti irregolari? Are they forged/ fake documents?

3. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Not necessarily forged or fake, although that may be the case too. They are usually just papers or permits that are not in conformity with the laws in force.

4. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    I'd be tempted to use "false" here as the implication is that the documents are deliberately false rather than just non-compliant - although I think "false documents" can also cover non-compliant documents too. De facto doesn't need inverted commas in my opinion.

False documents and de facto situations. The most worrying illegal situation, which has been created "legally", so to speak, appears to be people who have been included in the census of the so-called Gypsy Emergency.

5. gettingby Senior Member

Italy
    AmEnglish
    Maybe "non-conformant or false documents" perhaps? I think there may be a mix of what PaulfromItaly has noted, some fake, some expired, some lacking a stamp or sth.

6. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    I'm not sure "non-conformant documents" exists in relation to passports and papers, does it? Wouldn't it be "non-conforming"? I still prefer "false" for the reasons I stated earlier :)

7. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    But the documents aren't necessarily false (they might be that as well). I'd say they were either false or not in order, personally.;)

8. gettingby Senior Member

Italy
    AmEnglish
    Thank you all very much! I had found both non-conforming and non-conformant (admittedly the latter less often) but I agree, false or not in order is the winning combination.

9. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    We sometimes see "improper documents" or "improper documentation."

10. cercolumi

cercolumi Senior Member

italiano
    Ciao :)
    Documenti irregolari sono, siano essi falsi, scaduti o altro, documenti non validi, che non danno quindi diritto a soggiornare nel territorio nazionale.
    Mi chiedevo, alla luce di ciò, se un possibile traducente potesse essere invalid or not valid documents.

11. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
  12. gettingby Senior Member

Italy
    AmEnglish
    Wonderful, Joanvillafane! Much obliged.