Does 'ata' mean something in your language?

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by turkishspeaker, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turkishspeaker New Member

Ata means father/anchestor in Turkish. Does it have any meaning in your language?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. trance0 Senior Member

"Ata" means "father" in Slovene too.
  3. dinji Senior Member

Borgå, Finland
    Swedish - Finland
    I think atta meant 'father' in ancient Gothic? This may be behind Turkish and/or Slovene, but I'm not sure.
  4. origumi Senior Member

Atta is "father" also in Latin, Hittite.
  5. OldAvatar Senior Member

In Romanian, the word for father is tata. Though, I don't think it is related with Turkish ata.
  6. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In Portuguese, ata can be:

- a noun meaning "minute" (of a meeting);
    - a form of the present tense of the verb atar, "to tie up", "to bind";
    - a form of the imperative of the same verb.

I don't think any of these is related to the Turkish word.
  7. dihydrogen monoxide Senior Member

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    The Gothic form is behind the Slovene form.

Romanian word for tata could be from Serbo-Croate word for father which is tata.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
  8. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)

It could come from any language in which childspeak 'tata' appears.

9. Kanes Senior Member

In Bulgarian the baby word is tati too, it's just what babies say, same with the am/ma sound for mother.... It's not borrowing, half the languages on the world have similar words for those things.
  10. dihydrogen monoxide Senior Member

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    I am merely saying it could come from Serbo-Croatian because Romanian is exposed to this language but then again it could be an original childspeak word in Romanian and not the borrowing.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  11. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    In Hebrew 'ata' means 'you' - male, singular.
  12. hanne Senior Member

In Greenlandic aataa means grandfather and ataata means father. Not quite the same word, but still interesting considering the geographical distance, I think.

And in Swedish äta means eat. (also not exactly the same, but close)
  13. ahshav Senior Member

English, Hebrew
    Though I doubt there is a real connection, in Judeo-Aramaic (at least Talmudic), ata means "he comes/arrives" or "he came/arrived."
  14. astlanda Senior Member

Estonian maamurre

"ata" is an onomatopoetic expression, which describes punishing (kids) by beating them.

A word closer to Turkish, Gothic, Greenlandic and Slavic version is "ätt" which may refer to father or (usually just) an old man. A counterpart of "tata" is Estonian "taat", which covers almost the same semantic field as "ätt".
  15. Saluton Banned

Moscow, Russia
    The combination of Russian letters ата (i.e. transliterated ata) doesn't mean anything in Russian. :)
  16. robbie_SWE

robbie_SWE Senior Member

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    Or it could just come from Latin tata (a colloquial form for saying "father"). Consider it being the other way around; that Romanian influenced Serbo-Croatian.

:) robbie
  17. Nanon

Nanon Senior Member

Entre Paris et Lisbonne
    français (France)
    These two work for Spanish as well:
  18. kusurija

kusurija Senior Member

Lithuania, K. city
    Lithuania Czech
    In Czech I don't remember any meaning for "ata"

In Lithuanian
    there are:
    1. abbreviation fot amžiną Tau atilsį, sometimes used as a word. Meaning: a rest to You for ages (who gone to his account/leaved for a better world)
    2. one of non-regular forms for "atia" (other: "ate") - meaning: so long, bye-bye...

In Japanese:
    仇[ata, more often [ada]] foe, enemy
  19. Cosol Member

Italiano - Italia
    In Euskaraz/Basque aita is father.
  20. Evros Member

I think "ata" must be Ural-Altaic origined, derivatives can include this word as father..
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  21. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)

My common sense says that "Turkish 'ata'" only means something in... Turkish.
    Pedantics apart, Dutch doesn't have a word that sounds like 'ata'.

22. Giorgio Lontano

Giorgio Lontano Senior Member

Nova Guatemala da Assunção.
    Guatemala - Español
    Hmm... that use has survived here, in Spanish. :)

:thumbsup: It's also a sufix: ata

23. Juri Senior Member

Koper, near Trieste
    I don't agree with SALUTON(post 15) about "ata" doesn't mean anything in Russian; do not forget the compound word ataman !
  24. Montaigne Senior Member

French, France
    And in Russian "атец" (atiets) means father and derives from Altaic "ata".
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
  25. cattletruck New Member

Yes, in Tamil it means father too.
  26. brtkrbzhnv

brtkrbzhnv Member

Swedish – Stockholm
  27. phosphore Senior Member

It could have been the other way round as well, especially considering that atta means father also in Latin and Gottic and similar words exist in many other Indo-European languages.
  28. dihydrogen monoxide Senior Member

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    ^That's where you get Attila the Hun? Attila is diminutive of atta in Gothic which means father.
  29. berndf Moderator

German (Germany)
    I think, the theory (one of many) relating the name Attila to Gothic goes more like this.
  30. todosmentira Member

English - Southern English
    In Albanian atë or ati means father.
  31. HBZ55 Senior Member

Arabic - Tunisia
    In Standard Arabic, it means he came, as in "to come".
  32. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek, ata is baby talk and means "a walk". When the mother wants to take her toddler for a walk, she usually says "πάμε άτα" (pame ata, let's go for a walk).
  33. ixo_ New Member

"Aita" means "father" in Basque (maybe nothing to do with "ata", but there you go...)
  34. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Taata is an old-fashioned word in Finnish to describe an old male person, usually the grandfather. But it is not used very much in this century...
  35. rowther New Member

Ata is used by Tamil speaking Rowther Muslims-descendents of the Turkish Sultanate of Madurai (1335-1378 C.E) for father.
  36. Selyd Senior Member

In Ukrainian the baby word is тато (tato) it's just what babies say - The basic word is "батько", same with the мама/мa /mama-ma/ sound for mother - The basic word is "мати, матір". The military leader is “отаман” /otaman/.
    And to the priest address “
    отче” from “отець” /otets’/.

37. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungarian - Hungary
    According to some sources, the Hungarian atya (a very dignifed word for father) comes from ata.
    We have both tata and tati as an affectionate title for a grandfather.
    Tata is also used in addressing any unknown old man in a half joking or a bit derogatory way (depending on the tone of voice).
  38. Saluton Banned

Moscow, Russia
    Still, the word ата means nothing.
  39. Ateesh6800 Senior Member

Ata is not really a lexical word in Hungarian, so it doesn't mean anythying.

However, Ata is used as a relatively rare and recent nickname for the first name Attila (sometimes spelled as Atilla). This is of course not too important linguistically unless you are called Attila officially and Ata by family members, as is the case with me. :)

There are conflicting etymologies for "Attila"/"Atilla" circulating in Hungary; it may come from an old Turkish root "itil"/"etel" meaning "river" or indeed from the old Turkish word meaning "father" with possibly a diminutive ending.

If you switch the "t" for a palatalised version (spelled "ty" and sounding roughly like the word-initial consonant complex in "tutor" in British English) "Atya" is indeed "grandfather" or "forefather" or a term of address for a senior priest including the pope himself ("szentatya" or "holy father").
  40. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Ataata is a Greenlandic word for father.
  41. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Akkadian: atta "you (male, singular)"

Welsh: ata "towards me" (a modern form of older ataf)
  42. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

In Dumagat language (Mangnah) of Luzon Island,Philippines, "Ata" means Human, In Tagalog it is "Tao", Tawo and in Panay Island it is "Ati" where the term "Ati atihan" came from.
  43. pujushe7 New Member

New York
    English - American
    'Ata' means 'them' in Albanian.
  44. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Ata in Dumaget means "People". Other ethnic words related to this are Ati/Ayta/Agta and Tawo(Ta-oh).
  45. DreamerX Member

The only thing I can think of in North American English is “Atta boy!” or “Atta girl!” (always with two t’s). This is something we shout to congratulate a person who has accomplished a feat (or what we believe is a feat). It is typically associated with physical activities, but it can also be said to somebody who has received good grades or got accepted into college, among other things. I’m not too aware of its origins.
  46. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

The old form of father is in Hungarian is "atya". It is still used in the Lords Prayer: "Mi Atyánk, ki vagy a mennyekben ..."
    The present word for father is "apa".
  47. roxcyn

roxcyn Senior Member

American English [AmE]
    In English it is an abbreviation for "that a..", example: ata boy; ata girl. etc.
  48. DreamerX Member

^Thanks for clarifying the origins, roxcyn :)! By the way, I think it's usually spelled with two t's, but there are might be different versions.
  49. mundiya Senior Member

Hindi, English, Punjabi
    In Hindi, "aaTaa" means wheat flour, while "taat" (from Sanskrit "taata") is one of the words for father.
  50. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

^The Hungarian word "tata" means
    a) a derogative form of address against old man which is not your relative.
    b) The smallest great-grandsons used to call their great-grandfather "Tata" in our family.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.