1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dog bred from pedigree stocks

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by busygirl, Jan 30, 2007.

1. busygirl Senior Member

Español, Guatemala
    Podrían ayudarme, no conozco mucho de los términos para animales.

Gracias...

Blackie was a dog bred from pedigree stocks to hunt birds.

2. busygirl Senior Member

Español, Guatemala
    Nadie tiene ni una efímera idea???

3. kimmike

kimmike Senior Member

Northern California
    American English - US
    How does this sound to you?

Blackie was a pedigree dog bred to hunt birds.

The word "pedigree" means that you can trace his dog ancestry. People who breed dogs want purebred dogs who are not a mixture of breeds and they keep these kinds of records. Mixed-breed dogs are commonly called mutts who have no pedigree.

Does that help?

4. busygirl Senior Member

Español, Guatemala
    If I understand you correctly, is like the original sentence is very ambiguous, so it will mean the same thing than the one you just wrote??

5. kimmike

kimmike Senior Member

Northern California
    American English - US
    No, it's not ambiguous, it is just wordy. You could be direct and say:

"Blackie was a dog bred to hunt birds."

But that doesn't capture the idea that Blackie is a purebred dog with a pedigree. Here's what my dictionary gives as a definition: 2. A list of the ancestors of a purebred animal; a family tree

By saying "Blackie was a pedigree dog bred to hunt birds." you capture the idea that he is a purebred dog with special skills.

Does this help or have I made it worse? :eek: We can discuss this some more off the forum if you like (send me a private message)

6. Thomsen Senior Member

Washington, D.C.
    English USA
    Blackie es un perro de un especie(raza?) que fue criado para la caza (como sus antecedentes) de pajarros.

Seguro que suena muy mal, pero no hay una manera semejante de dicerlo en español?

7. busygirl Senior Member

Español, Guatemala
    Thanks for your help, I will try my best!