dog's fang

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Jeraru, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jeraru Junior Member

España, español y catalán
    Hello. Would someone kindly tell me if there are any difference between the possessives used to say dog's fang (狗牙 and 狗之牙)? Is someone more "polite" or "literary" than the other or are totally equall? I'm also wondering if these Mandarin gramatical orthers serves in the same way in the case of Cantonese and Classical Chinese languages.

Thank you so much
  2. vinceyeung New Member

狗牙 is better for general speaking and writing. 狗之牙 has the same meaning but it looks like more "literary" and old. (I don't know how I should express its feeling properly to you, it sounds like a old chinese shop's name) Grammatically it's the same for Mandarin and Cantonese (and other chinese langauages as well i think?)
  3. Jeraru Junior Member

España, español y catalán
    This is very helpful, thank you
  4. sesame_fr Senior Member

In the old Chinese text, we use 之 instead of 的. Now in the litterature and in the oral chinese, we would not use 之。You sayed 狗之牙, it sounds very strange for me, because in old chinese we say 犬 not 狗。
  5. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    In my opinion, 犬之牙 should be avoided as well, as well as 狗的牙, even though they may be more natural combos (even emperors get annoyed at unnecessary 之s :p).

6. energy185 New Member

We simply use 犬牙 to describe the guy who help bad people do some evil things. 狗 is a curse word in china . another idiom 狗娘养的, mean " Son of bitch" .
    犬牙 is also have the meaning of "uneven" , 犬牙交错.
    Hope this can help you .
  7. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Mandarin 國語
    說文解字: 狗之有縣蹏者也象形, 孔子曰視犬之字如畫狗也凡犬之屬皆從犬
    狗 gou, from Middle Chinese *kʌ́w, from Old Chinese *kṓ 'dog' (Late Zhou), from Proto-Sino-Tibetan *qōH 'dog, to bark'.
    犬 sounds more archaic not because 狗 didn't exist in Old Chinese, but because 犬 is more common in ancient time and seldom seen in modern daily uses.
    Occasionally, 狗之牙 shows up in modern literature (e.g., 它们是虎之伥、鹰之爪、狗之牙 Unless one has mastered the Chinese language, I agree with others that such expressions should be avoided.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013