Domnu, Domnul, Domnule

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by domangelo, Jun 9, 2007.

1. domangelo Senior Member

United States English
    Can anyone explain when to use these three different forms?
    Domnu
    Domnul
    Domnule

2. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Hello, domangelo.

Domnu doesn't really exist in Romanian. Maybe you mean Domnu' (it's short for Domnule, but used by uneducated people or when being sarcastic - when you don't feel that guy is a gentleman at all ;)).

Domnul means Mister, and it's used when referring to someone:

Domnul Smith mi-e prieten vechi.
    Mister Smith is an old friend of mine.

You use Domnule when you're adressing someone in a polite way. You can use their family name as well (and it would be translated as Mr), or just Domnule (Sir).

- Domnule, v-aţi uitat pălăria.
    "Sir, you forgot your hat!"

- Domnule Black, sunt încântat să vă cunosc.
    "Mister Black, I'm delighted to meet you"

Hope this helps. If not, I'd be happy to clarify things. Just ask :)

3. domangelo Senior Member

United States English
    Okay, so you can address someone as "Domnule Smith" OR as "Domnul Smith" ? But you cannot address them as "Domnu Smith" ?

4. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    When you address someone, you say Domnule Smith. You could say Domnu Smith, but you'd be rude.

As I said before, Domnul means you're referring to someone. You're talking about that person, not to the person

Better now ?;)

EDIT: It just crossed my mind that sometimes people use "Domnul" or "Domnu" when talking to somebody. It's spoken Romanian, but it's not gramatically correct.

5. domangelo Senior Member

United States English
    Thanks! Okay, referring to = domnul, including after a preposition? cu domnul Smith? cu domnul nou?

6. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Please add more context...

If I want to say I've just spoken with Mr. Smith/the new guy (I suppose that's what you meant), it'll be: "Tocmai am vorbit cu domnul Smith/cu domnul nou". Although the last one doesn't sound too natural.

So yes, including after a preposition.:p

7. OldAvatar Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    As a completion, I may say that Domnul would be a nominative case, while Domnule is a vocative one. Also, I don't find Domnu' as being rude but rather being excessively familiar.

Best regards

8. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Details, details..

Really now, thanks a lot OldAvatar. Grammar saves the day :)

I said "rude" while having in mind the sarcastic nuance (see a previous post).

9. domangelo Senior Member

United States English
    multumesc!

10. modus.irrealis Senior Member

Toronto
    English, Canada
    It looks to me like domnule has the definite article? If that's so, is it normal to use the vocative with the definite article suffixed?

11. parakseno

parakseno Senior Member

Romania
    Romanian, Romania
    In this case, "domnule" is a Vocative form without the definite article (indeed a bit unusual a form). In case we're referring to God the Vocative form is "Doamne". Some masculine nouns have (somewhat "special") vocative forms in "-e": băiat > băiete (boy), cumnat > cumnate (brother-in-law). The same thing happens with "domn" but it has two forms: the "normally" formed one "Doamne" (but which is almost exclusively used when addressing God) and another "domnule".

Domnule Popescu, intraţi! - Mister Popescu, come in!
    Doamnă Popescu, intraţi! - Madam Popescu, come in!

As we can see in the above examples, the feminine is clearly the form without the definite article and the masculine follows the same rule (but the vocative form is formed differently).

As for your second question the use of the definite article depends on the situation.
    eg:
    Domnule / Doamnă , aveţi gijă! - Mr./Mrs., be careful! (forms without article)
    Domnule profesor/ Doamna profesoară, veniţi cu noi? - Teacher are you comming with us? (forms with article).

*In certain cases, the Nominative form can be used for the Vocative as well: "Stimate domn, nu veniţi cu noi?"

12. modus.irrealis Senior Member

Toronto
    English, Canada
    parakseno, thanks for the explanation.