donner le pouls de quelque chose

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Martinsell, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Martinsell Senior Member

English - UK
    Hello All,

I wonder if anyone could shed any light on the expression "donner le pouls de quelque chose" in the context of an interview with George Clooney:

"De la série Urgences jusqu'au succès colossal de l'oscarisé Argo, il est devenu une star dont les films et l'engagement politique donnent le pouls d'un rêve hollywoodien encore synonyme d'élévation."

I understand the expression mean, more or less, "give life to" (a Hollywood dream) - is that correct? How to say this in English is another matter, and I have come up with nothing more imaginative than "created". Here is my attempt, which I'd be grateful for comments on, or suggestions for improvement.

"From ER to the runaway success of the Oscar-winning Argo, he has become a star whose films and political engagement have created a Hollywood dream still synonymous with extraordinary fame."

My thanks in advance.
    PS I forgot to mention that intern@ute.com gives a definition of the phrase as "Faire part de l'opinion des gens sur un sujet déterminé" but this doesn't seem to help very much!?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    here, I understand "donnent le pouls" as "are a demonstration of a Hollywood dream ..."

3. Martinsell Senior Member

English - UK
    Thank you Micia93. What do you think of "From ER to the runaway success of the Oscar-winning Argo, he has become a star whose films and political engagement attest to a Hollywood dream still synonymous with extraordinary fame." (which just seems a bit tighter than "are a demonstration of")

4. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    to be honest, I quite don't understand the meaning of "donnent le pouls de" in this context! your search "faire part de l'opinion des gens sur un sujet déterminé" is absolutely right. Anyway, it doesn't fit in this context, and this is the reason why I suggested "sont une démonstration de". Anyway, "attest" is too strong here

5. Martinsell Senior Member

English - UK
    Ok - I might stick with "created" then! Not that I don't like "sont une démonstration de", it's just that I find it makes the sentence a bit cumbersome.
    Thanks for your time..