1. mimie Senior Member

Tananarive
    Madagascar
    En fait, c'est toute la phrase que j'aimerai vérifier et pas seulement 'donner lieu à' mais c'est un peu long.

"Dans le cas de séjour combiné d'hôtels du groupe donnant lieu à une nuitée gratuite, c'est la nuitée la moins chère qui sera considérée comme gratuite. "

J'ai traduit : "In case of combined stays at the hotels of the group giving rise to one free night, the cheapest night will be considered free".

Est-ce que c'est bon ou y a-t-il une meilleure façon de le traduire ?

Merci !

Mimie

2. broglet

broglet Senior Member

London
    English - England
    It's not bad, mimie, but I think the following is better:

Where a combination of stays at hotels in the group gives rise to a free night, the cheapest night will be considered free

3. mimie Senior Member

Tananarive
    Madagascar
    Thanks, it's much better!

4. alisonp Senior Member

London
    English - UK
    I'm not sure that 'give rise to' is the best verb to use, but can't think what is at the moment. Sorry, that's not a lot of help, is it? :(. Possibly something like "gives an entitlement to"? (I don't think "entitles one to" would work here).

5. hercules Senior Member

Paris, France
    France
    could "gives right " instead of "gives rise" be better ?

6. broglet

broglet Senior Member

London
    English - England
    perhaps "... entitles you to a free night ..."

7. mimie Senior Member

Tananarive
    Madagascar
    I was thinking that 'give rise to' does not sound correct but that's the word from my dictionary. 'Give right' seems actually better.

8. alisonp Senior Member

London
    English - UK
    I would have put that, but was trying to avoid anything with "you", since it sounded like terms and conditions, which tend to be rather depersonalised.

In my experience, you need to take dictionary entries with a fair-sized pinch of salt. It's quite often necessary to use them as a guideline rather than quote them verbatim (and sometimes it's even better to ignore them completely, depending on what dictionary it is! :D) - after all, there's frequently no exact one-to-one correspondence between two words in two different languages.

9. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    If you use "right" you must use an article.

This becomes:
    Where a combination of stays at hotels in the group gives the right to a free night, the cheapest will be considered free.

10. mimie Senior Member

Tananarive
    Madagascar
    I fully agree but when i don't have anything else (even if i know it's not good)...

11. mimie Senior Member

Tananarive
    Madagascar
    "gives the right to a free night" : seems even more confusing for me ...!

12. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    "Gives a right to a free night" or "gives the right to a free night" are both OK.

But "gives right to a free night" does not sound natural.

13. VI0LETTE

VI0LETTE Junior Member

France
    Living in France, English&German
    In the event of a combined stay at hotels in our group, thus entitling the guest to a complimentary night's stay, the least expensive night shall be designated complimentary.

14. dunescratcheur Senior Member

France 30
    France, English