1. miller New Member

Quand cela s'utilise dans une seule phrase, que veut dire "Dont acte." ? Il me semble qu'il y a un sujet qui manque, mais je l'ai lu quelque part. Il a ete la derniere phrase d'un paragraphe...
  2. DDT

DDT Senior Member

Paris, France
    Italy - Italian
    Could you please provide some context?

3. miller New Member

Perhaps I should clarify - this was written in French. The writer was talking about various experiences and what they meant to her, and the last sentence was "Dont acte."
  4. viera Senior Member

Paris suburb
    "Dont acte" veut dire à peu près "nous prenons bonne note des arguments exposés ci-dessus, mais nous nous réservons le droit de les contester ultérieurement s'il y a lieu".
  5. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Yes Miller it does exist absolutely, but sometimes with more context, it is easier for members to understand what you're after.

This is the definition from the TLFi :
  6. aimee_vv Junior Member

English, U.K.
    need to bring this thread up again - i understand the meaning in French but can anyone give me a decent English equivalent? Am translating a police document where it is mentionned at the end of every page.

The best I have come up with on my own is 'hereby noted'.Ppllellellleeeease,more and better suggestions!!!

7. machrychar Junior Member

Duly noted or acknowledged.
  8. The closest English equivalent is "Duly noted"
  9. Dixxy

Dixxy Senior Member

Selon mon dictionnaire : "on en prend (bonne) note".
  10. John Butters Senior Member

Leicester UK
    A less formal, often verbal equivalent would be "Note taken."
  11. WME Senior Member

There's a difference between the original, formal meaning and use of "Dont act", at the end of a legal document, and its everyday, spoken language use.
    "Note taken", "Duly noted", "I hear you" etc. perfectly translate the latter, not the former.
  12. Marronnier Senior Member

Agree with WME, as a spoken formula, it's basically like saying: Point taken.

As a closing phrase on a legal document, it's more problematic because it seems basically redundant. I have done court documents as a sworn translator, and they state a load of stuff and then end with "dont acte". What does it add? Nothing, as far as I can see.

But since one is obliged to render something as a translation, I have used "duly noted" in the past. It's also fairly meaningless, which probably makes it a good translation! But I'd be interested if anyone with Anglo legal experience knows if there is a more usual formula in this context...
  13. WME Senior Member

14. balaam Senior Member

french (belgium)
    what does it add ?

the sense that it is officially acknowledged, thus cannot be denied.

More often than not, it is a snobbish mark or an understatement for "noted... sadly"
  15. WME Senior Member

balaam, lawyers do need to be "snobbish". It's part of their job, and often makes the difference between a legally binding document and a piece of junk mail.
  16. balaam Senior Member

french (belgium)
    i agree.

but not-lawyers, like hype columnists, are snobbish sometimes.

Context exposed by Miller is not a legal document. Chance is it comes from a newspaper or an online column. It this case it is either disapprobation -like "i'll remember. one day you will pay" or a polite way to express contempt.