Don't get your hopes up

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by tadam, Oct 2, 2005.

1. tadam New Member

Canada English
    I'd like to know how to say the equivalent of "Don't get your hopes up" in reference to our celebration (Cdn) of Thanksgiving.

2. Auryn

Auryn Senior Member

London
    France, French
    "Ne va pas t'imaginer des choses", although I'm not sure why you shouldn't get your hopes up about Thanksgiving :confused:

3. tadam New Member

Canada English
    Thanks Auryn.

(This "holiday" has much more meaning for us than it would to our French friends who will be joining us from Ottawa for Thanksgiving dinner.
    I'm simply trying to help them understand that it's not at all like say Christmas or Easter.)

4. Auryn

Auryn Senior Member

London
    France, French
    Oh right, thanks for the explanation :thumbsup:. As long as the food's good I'm sure they won't be disappointed :D

By the way, the sentence I posted earlier is in the singular. If you have several friends, you should say "n'allez pas vous imaginer des choses".

5. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    "N'allez pas vous imaginer des choses" might send the wrong message...right?

What about "ne vous attendez pas à de grandes choses"?

Anyway, I'm sure enough context would make it clear that the expectations should be low in comparison with Easter and/or Christmas. :)

6. Auryn

Auryn Senior Member

London
    France, French
    :eek: you might be right... that hadn't occurred to me. Maybe your suggestion is better :eek: