1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Dont tread on me

Discussion in 'English Only' started by wowfactor, Dec 9, 2007.

1. wowfactor New Member

VN
    This phrase is very popular on online forums. I think the meaning is dont treat me bad but I want to know the definitive meaning.

Thanks,

2. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

The literal meaning is to trample, to crush under your foot, so the figurative meaning is most likely what you said.

Have you tried a dictionary?
    Source.

Unless they're alluding to the idiom
    Same source

3. wowfactor New Member

VN
    Thanks,

I used freedictionary.com, they don't have "dont tread on someone's toes"

4. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Don't worry :)

I'm actually more familiar with "step on one's toes"

I think that you'll be able to tell from context which interpretation is correct. If they don't use the whole idiom, it's probably safer to assume they mean "don't treat me in a harsh way."

5. verbivore Senior Member

USA, English
    I recall this expression from the 70's here in America. It's similar to "I'm not your doormat."

6. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    I haven't heard this before. I would have assumed (by the doormat imagery) that the meaning was "don't belittle or undervalue me" or by extension "don't get in my way".

7. verbivore Senior Member

USA, English
    Actually, "doormat" means more like "I'm not where you wipe your feet."

8. anothersmith Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English, U.S.
  9. history buff New Member

Michigan
    USA English
    It is a slogan used by our first American Navy as a warning to the British that we will not be bullied any longer. It was symbolized with a red and white striped flag with a rattle snake on it. It was the Don't Tread On Me flag flown by American ships during the American revolution in 1776.

It was a symbol of American colonies defying the crown.:D

10. Yeller262 New Member

English
    To be totally honest a lot of southerners use this saying and the saying on a yellow flag with a snake. It is basically saying don't walk all over me or i will walk all Over you. As in, if your rude on me I'm going to be rude to you. Do on to others what you want to be done on to you. As I said before it is said on a flag an also I a country song by Aaron Lewis, and the song is country boy. I have done lots of reaserch, this flag was used when the war was going on between the north and south! South used it to basically say what ever u do to us we will do back to u