1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Don't wait until a rainy day to change worn-out .....

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Amante, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Amante Junior Member

Canada
    English
    Don't wait until a rainy day to change worn-out windshield wipers.

My translation: No espera hasta un día lluvioso a cambia las limpiaparabrisas gastadas.

Translation in my learning material: No espera hasta un dia lluvioso para cambiar unas escobillas ya gastadas.

Can you help me understand when to use "a cambia" and " para cambiar". Is it that the "a" must indicate going from one place to another and so it's correct to use para since it means "in order to" rather than " going to ". Am I on the right track?

Also, if I may ask another question. I'm not sure about the "ya". Since it means "already", isn't it redundant in this sentence?

Gracias para sus ayudas !

2. grahamcracker Senior Member

English-TEXAS
    The word "to" in your English version is part of the infinitive verb. Here, the word "para" is essentially a translation of the English "in order to" as in "in order to change". In English we don't always need to include "in order to" but I imagine "para" should be in the Spanish. That part I really don't know. Just be aware that if you can say "in order to + verb", chances are you can say "para".

3. grahamcracker Senior Member

English-TEXAS
    In the case of "going to", if you say "I am going to change the tire" (Voy a cambiar la llanta), it is a different use of the word "to" as in "I am going to the store". "Voy a la tienda" is contains no Spanish infinitive and the word "a" is a true preposition.

And generally, the conjugations of "ir" (voy, va, vas, van) are followed by "to" but esperar routinely is not automatically done treated that way.

4. Amante Junior Member

Canada
    English
    thanks Grahamcracker!