doorbuster

Discussion in 'English Only' started by nasridine, Nov 15, 2006.

1. nasridine Senior Member

USA
    Chinese, China
    Black friday is coming and I saw this word "doorbuster" a lot in these deal websites lately. So what does it mean, "super hot deal"?

2. lil devil New Member

UK
    English
    I think its referring to some really good deals or something like that:) hope that helps or maybe it wont...
    x khaotic lil devil x

3. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Yes, it's a sale so great that, figuratively, customers will break down the store's doors to get in.

4. lareneg Junior Member

United Kingdom, English
    I certainly have never seen this used before, and it seems that google hasn't got a definition either. Using a normal google search, I found digg page mentioning, and from the context (where he says a "few decent deals"), I would guess that it means that it is somethign being sold at a discount, or as you put it, a "super hot deal".
    I would post links, but I don't have permissions yet (under 30 posts)

5. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Perhaps this is strictly a North American (AE) expression but a "doorbuster" sale is, as I said in a previous post, a sale so great that it makes people want to "bust down the door" of the store to get in. It's very often heard in department store marketing.

6. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    I think it must be an AE BE difference because I haven't heard of it either, although the meaning is clear from the context.

7. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Customers wait in line for doorbuster deals at the Kmart on Addison Street in Chicago on Thanksgiving Thursday, Nov. 22, 2012. Kmart was the first major retailer nationwide to kick off pre-Black Friday shopping on Thanksgiving morning at 6 a.m.

Look: Shoppers In Line At Kmart

This is a piece about shoppers in America cramming into major retail stores fighting their way through mobs for bargains.

I've just had a look around on Google and it seems that a doorbuster is a hard-to-resist deal offered on Black Friday. Do you use "doorbuster" to refer to any cheap deals offered on any other day besides Black Friday?

8. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Doorbuster deals = deals that are so ridiculously good that they will make you want to break down the doors of the store to get them.

Have I heard it before? No.

Would it be understood? - probably, but even if it weren't, it still sounds exciting, and is typical (and thus, in the context, humorous) of the sort of wild claim, facile enthusiasm, and exaggeration from marketing-types.

9. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I wouldn't use it myself, but I understand it to mean a deal so good that a crowd of eager customers will storm the doors of the store, and break them open before the official opening time in order to take advantage of the sweet deal.

Normally an exaggeration, but such things have happened.

10. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I was about to comment that the term is of quite recent vintage—then I decided, as a proper journalist, to first do some research. Surprise: In fact, it goes back a century, to 1917. And it may have started even earlier, in the 1890s. My source is none other than the respected OED. See: http://public.oed.com/appeals/doorbuster/

11. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks for your help. Perhaps "camp-out deal" is a less violent and exaggerated term. The retailers would be more happy to see them camping out at their stores rather than busting their doors.