1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dopo 15-20 ′

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by cfareddollas, Jan 29, 2013.

1. cfareddollas Senior Member

English (uk)
    Hi there,
    Can somebody please clarify the use of apostrophes in Italian for me? I'm translating a patient report from a hospital and have got the following sentence: "Regression della sintomatologia spontaneamente dopo 15-20'"
    Does 15-20' mean 15-20 minutes? 15-20 hours? Or something else?

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
  3. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Actually Paul, cfa is asking about 15-20', which indicates feet in English, not minutes, as it does in Italian.;)

4. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Una sintomatologia regredisce nel tempo, non in una distanza.
    E' ovvio in qualsiasi lingua che se non si sta parlando di distanze, questo simbolo " ′ " indica i minuti primi.
    I piedi si indicano con il simbolo dell'apostrofo.

5. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    It's true that the symbols ' and " are international for minutes and seconds, but in the English-speaking world they are not used so much ("min" and "sec" are more common). I've seen them used more for subdivisions of the degree (angle measurement) and also for feet and inches as LC says. Anyway, it's clear that cfa is not familiar with this notation, so the best answer is to tell him/her that we're talking about minutes.

6. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    The symbols for the subdivisions of the degree of an angle are the same. The problem is that the correct symbol for primes and double primes ( ′ ″ ) (U+2032 and U+2033) are not in any standard keyboards so people normally use apostrophes.

7. cfareddollas Senior Member

English (uk)
    Wow, cannot believe I didn't know this!! I don't remember being taught this at school... Grazie mille a voi!!