1. Bracho Junior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Hi! I'm an English teacher in Spain and this week I am planning to play a game for beginners called Doppelganger. The goal of the game is to introduce oneself and ask other students what their names are. How could I translate into Spanish the name of the game? "Juego de cartas?" Does doppelganger have any meaning at all?

2. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Doppelganger es alemán... quiere decir "double" o algo así. Por ser un término de crítica literaria bastante difundida no estoy seguro de que necesites traducirla ... pero si son niños o jóvenes.

(This is "double" in the sense of "everyone has a double"... there's someone somewhere in the world that looks/acts just like him...he's your double; your doppelganger.)

3. Bracho Junior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Thanks a lot

4. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Haha. Now I'm not so sure this is correct. I'll keep looking.

Well, Merriam-Webster says this: 1 ghostly counterpart of a living person 2 a DOUBLE 2 b : ALTER EGO c : a person who has the same name as another.

Sounds like the point of the game is to find your TOCAYO. Could you call it "Tocayo"?

5. Gabino

Gabino Senior Member

Bogotá, Colombia
    Spanish-Colombia
    Actually, if I'm not wrong, it derives from a phenomenon of an evil twin. Someone who walks next to you, like a ghost. And yes it is a German word.

6. Iararo Senior Member

Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
  7. Bracho Junior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Well, tocayo would be a good translation as the goal of the game is to find someone in the class who has the same name as you.