1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

dou fé

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by wendyaldo, Jun 10, 2013.

1. wendyaldo New Member

Yonkers, NY
    English
    Sorry I still haven't figure out how to add accents. I need to translate a birth certificate and there's a notary expression that I'm not sure about. Anyone have suggestions for "dou fe"?

2. William Stein Senior Member

San Jose, Costa Rica
    American English
    At the end, you can say, "In witness whereof, " followed by the signature. At the start of a sentence you can say: "I hereby certify that..."

3. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Welcome to the forums. :)

As for the accents you only have to click them right on top of the post window, at the right, you have a drop menu where you find all accented letters. Just click the one.
    REad it here:
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=136118&p=1483168#post1483168

4. GabrielMe New Member

São Paulo - SP
    Português - Brasil
    May you write all the phrase? Because I think it depends. For exemple: "Dou fé que passei na prova final" (90% sure). "I'm right that I passed in the final exam"

It's possible to use "Dou fé" like William wrote, or for exemple "Dou fé que vi a criança nascer", "I assure you that I saw the child being born"

5. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Mas como a pessoa não explicou o contexto, eu como o William só concluímos que seja o jargão jurídico - único também em que eu consigo pensar alguém escrevendo a tal expressão! ;)

6. wendyaldo New Member

Yonkers, NY
    English
    Thanks everyone (belatedly)! This is on a notary seal. The full sentence is:
    Certifico que a presente cópia é a reprodução fiel do original que me foi exibido; dou fé.
    Further below, before the signature, it says Em testemunho da verdade, which seems more like, "In witness thereof" or of the truth.

What do you think?

7. William Stein Senior Member

San Jose, Costa Rica
    American English
    "dou fé" seems redundant in combination with "Em testemunho da verdade" (overkill): I hereby certify that this is a true and faithful copy of the original document shown to me; in witness whereof...[signatures]

8. William Stein Senior Member

San Jose, Costa Rica
    American English
    If you need a complete "stand-alone" sentence you can also say "Witness my hand and seal".