1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Double (or more) relative clause word order.

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by starrgo_rin, Oct 14, 2013.

1. starrgo_rin Junior Member

Toronto
    English - British
    Hello,
    I would like to ask you about the proper word order of double relative clauses in the cases such as this one:

Option a) "Ich weiß, daß dieses Buch von verschiedenen Menschern, die mit dem Dampschiff rund um die Welt gereist hatten, redet."
    Option b) "Ich weiß, daß dieses Buch von verschiedenen Menschern redet, die mit dem Dampschiff rund um die Welt gereist hatten."

I would suspect, that based on the rule that the verb should be in the end, a) is correct, but in the cases where the second relative clause is much longer OR especially when there are two or three relative clauses in the middle, that would be too complex to read.

2. djweaverbeaver Senior Member

English Atlanta, GA USA
    Hello,

I'd say that both options are correct, although I'll let one of the native speakers, or at least someone more knowledgeable than I, comment on any stylistic differences. In the meantime, I'll just point mistakes I see in your first sentence. You can then correct the second.

Ich weiß, dass dieses Buch von verschiedenen Menschen, die mit dem Dampschiff rund um die Welt gereist waren, redet.

-According to the rules of the spelling reform (Rechtschreibreform), dass is no longer to be written daß. All words that take a short vowel sound are now written as ss (ex. dass, muss, Fass, bisschen etc.). Words with a long vowel sound continue to be written with ß (ex. Fuß, Maß, Soße, beißen etc.).
    - der Mensch (-en, -en), never takes an r.
    -The verb reisen is a verb of motion, and as such takes sein: reisen, reiste, ist gereist.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    Both structures are acceptable but for the sake of readability you should stick to option b).

By the way:
    1.) books don't talk, so replace "redet" by "handelt"
    2.) "reisen" demands "sein" as auxiliary -> "...um die Welt gereist sind"

4. starrgo_rin Junior Member

Toronto
    English - British
    Thank you very much for the clarification!

Moderator note: The topic "das Mensch" has been split off to this new thread. :)
    < ... >

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013