1. Carlos Martínez Riera

Carlos Martínez Riera Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    In Tarantino's Kill Bill 2, there is a scene where Bill (David Caarradine) tells to Beatrix (Uma Thurman) the story of how his Kung Fu master, Pai Mei, decided to massacre a whole monastery because one monk did not return his saluting nod the day before (very much in line with Tarantino's pet stories).

Bill says that according to some, all that happened in "one thousand double ought three", if I took it correctly.

Can anyone tell me what double ought is in this context and what does it come from?

2. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Isn't it 1003?

Double o = 00 (the number, not the letter)
  3. Chaucer Senior Member

US inglés/español
    It means double zero (00) or
    one thousand double ought three = 1003 A.D., the year
  4. Carlos Martínez Riera

Carlos Martínez Riera Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    I was puzzled by the fact that the in the Spanish dubbed version they used the year 880 and not 1003, what led me to think that there was some sort of pun inaccessible to me (like the joke in Pulp Fiction of that tomato family whose father harries up his son by shouting at him "catch-up!").

Possibly the translator didn't like the year 1003.

5. markie New Member

One Ought Not Use Ought For Aught.
  6. SFO Senior Member

California/Buenos Aires
    English (USA/New Zealand)
    Now, now, don't get haughty! ;)
  7. Gillian Senior Member

English USA
    I aught naught to owe for I ate nothing
  8. markie New Member

very good gillian. lol you sly ole vixen. lol
  9. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Para aclarar las últimas entradas, la palabra es "aught" que significa "zero" pero más que nada en el U.K.
    También Carlos, "one thousand double ought three" consiste en 7 sílabas.
    Ocho Ccho Cero = 6 sílabas -- casi lo mismo.
    Mil tres cientos tres -- 5 sílabas.
    Además, fíjese en la forma de los labios al decir Double Ought u Ocho Ocho comparado con Tres Cientos.

Supongo que hicieron el cambio porque, al mirar los labios y las bocas de los actores, 883 parece más natural; es menos obvio que no están hablando español de veras.

It was a joke that, in the old days, you would watch a Japanese monster movie, or Chinese martial arts movie, dubbed in English, and either their lips were still moving when the Englilsh dialog was over, or the dialog was continuing, long after their lips had stopped. Now the better producers try to be more careful about trying to match dubbing.