Double room & twin room

Discussion in 'English Only' started by runnery, Aug 13, 2007.

1. runnery Senior Member

China,Chinese
    Hi all,

Could you please tell me the difference between "double room" and "twin room"? I mean the accommodation that they respectively refer to.

Thanks a lot.

Runnery

2. stezza Banned

english italian
    In my understanding, a double room has a double bed and a twin room has two single beds.

3. rocamadour

rocamadour Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    I agree!

4. tinlizzy

tinlizzy Senior Member

Iowa
    USA - English
    In the US a double room will have 2 double beds and a twin room will have 2 twin beds (but twin beds is not the norm unless it is NYC). Prices are based on double occupancy. A hotel will likely charge the same for a single person and extra for more than 2 persons (unless they are children under a specified age).

5. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    What do you call a room with one double bed in it?

6. tinlizzy

tinlizzy Senior Member

Iowa
    USA - English
    Maybe someone who travels more than myself will correct me but I have never run across nor would expect ever to see a room with just one double bed in a hotel. Unless perhaps the establishment is a boutique (tiny)hotel or a motel or a hostel in a large city.

Single bedded rooms would be identified as a queen bed or a double bed in those examples above. The hotel will be very clear in the description of the room what you getting or what you may end up with if you are reserving a "run of the house" or standard room.

Did this help?

7. barbie84 New Member

English
    A double room in Asia countries mean one double bed in a room. A twin room in Asia countries mean two single bed in a room. ;)

8. Trina

Trina Senior Member

Sydney
    Australia (English)
    A double room.

Bed configurations vary from one hotel to another but as a general rule, a twin room contains two beds, meant for two people sharing a room (but not the same bed), while a double room is meant for two people sharing the same bed. As mentioned before, the room rate is based on double occupancy (also referred to as "twin share").

Bed sizes vary depending on the size of the rooms. A double room may contain any of the following:
    1 double bed
    1 queen bed
    1 king bed
    Also acceptable are two single beds pushed together (frequently seen in European hotels)

Sometimes they may contain:
    2 double beds
    2 queen beds
    1 double/queen and a single bed
    This configuration is also used for triple rooms.

In a twin room, the beds may be single or slightly larger (king single).

9. xyontheodore

xyontheodore Senior Member

Jakarta,Indonesia
    Chinese,Indonesian
    I think I just understood how "double room" and "twin room" differs.
    Nice brief explanation!

10. xeuz New Member

Filipino
    Good day to everyone!

In connection with room types in a hotel room, Could you please tell me what do you call a room with five beds?

Your answer is highly appreiciated.

11. Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    It is most unusual to find such a room in a European/ British hotel. It might be called a family room sleeping five or simply a five single- bed room.

Hermione

12. xeuz New Member

Filipino
    Yeah its really unusual, actually its a Boutique Hotel in Asia... Oh thank you I think I shall simply called it Family Room... Thank you so much!:)

13. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Is it a single room with five beds? That would seem highly unusual to me. If it's a group of rooms, all connected, with one door out to the hallway but with, say, two beds in one room, two beds in another, and a couch that folds out into a bed in the main room, that's a suite.

14. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If it's not a secret, what is the hotel and where is it? And if they have a website, you might look online and see what they call it themselves. :)

15. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    I'd probably call it a "dorm".

16. mmluqman

mmluqman Junior Member

Tours, France
    Urdu - Pakistan
    thats correct :)

17. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    We've been in a room that sleeps five before (in Perth, Australia), and they called it a family room - a double bed, two bunk beds and a camp bed. We were also in London in a quad room plus an extra bed - sleeping five, but officially called a quad room.