Doubt/ thinking and fear?

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Aug 9, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    The French redoutable suggests a link between thinking or doubting at least and fear. Could you find traces of that in your language?

Dutch: geducht might be based on dunken, denken (think).

There is doughty in English, but that seems to refer to virtue rather than thinking, and is not directly related to fear...

2. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi TK

Greek does not demonstrate a link between doubting and fearing at all, not even between doubting and thinking:
    «Αμφιβάλλω» [amfi'valo] --> to doubt < Classical verb «ἀμφιβάλλω» ămpʰĭbállō --> lit. to throw/cast/hurl around, metaph. since Homer, to be doubtful, uncertain < Compound, adv. & preposition «ἀμφὶ» āmpʰì --> around, on both sides (PIE *h₂nt-bʰi, on both sides cf Skt. अभि (abhi), against, about, Lat. ambō/ambi-, both, on both sides, Proto-Germanic *umbi, around > Dt/Nor/Swe/Dan om, Ger. um) + v. «βάλλω» bállō --> to throw, cast, hurl (PIE *gʷelh₁-, to hit by throwing with no certain cognates)

3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    What are the verbs for 'to fear' and 'feared' [maybe adjectives are different], and for thinking?

I suddenly thought of worrying, which is a combination of fear and thought, I think, but that might take us too far. And of course fear and worry are not the same thing.

4. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    To fear:
    «Φοβάμαι» [fo'vame] (and learned, «φοβούμαι» [fo'vume]) --> to be seized with fear < Classical v. «φοβέομαι/φοβοῦμαι» pʰŏbéŏmæ (uncontracted)/ pʰŏboûmæ (contracted) --> to be seized with fear, be affrighted, be put to flight < Classical masc. noun «φόβος» pʰóbŏs --> fear, and the personification of fear, the ancient Greek god of horror «Φόβος» (PIE *bʰegʷ-, to run away, flee cf Lth. bėgti, to run; Ltv. bēgt, to walk, flee; OCS бѣжати (běžati), to run, flee > Rus. бежать, to run, flee).
    To worry:
    «Ανησυχώ» [anisi'xo] < Modern construction (1888) in order to render the Fr. (s') inquiéter; compound, privative prefix «α-» (which becomes «αν-» [an-] when the next word beging with a vowel) + Classical v. «ἡσυχάω/ἡσυχῶ» hēsŭkʰáō (uncontracted)/ hēsūkʰô (contracted) --> to be still, silent, quiet (with obscure etymology).
    So, I see no possible link between doubting, thinking, fearing, and worrying in Greek.

5. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In hebrew its not really integrated, although you do have the equivalent of "I'm afraid not" - אני חושש שלא ani khoshesh shelo.
    There is also an equivalent for ".. being skeptic about...." להטיל בספק lehatil besafek which[=safek] is strictly of thinking on event; the more precise equivalent (but not to translation) is to doubt.

There is a known say that goes שוגה בהזיות shoge behazayot = (to make) extreme conclusions, lit. mistake in illusions.

I'm not too sure what exactly you ask though.

6. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    I just realised that I forgot to give the word for thinking, which is:
    «Σκέπτομαι» ['sceptome] -and colloquially, «σκέφτομαι» [sceftome] --> to think, contemplate < Classical deponent verb «σκέπτομαι» sképtŏmæ -- > lit. to look about carefully, examine, metaph. (since ancient times), to think, premeditate, contempalte (PIE *speḱ-, to see sharply, spy cf Skt. स्पश् (spaz), spy; Lat. specere, to observe, watch).
    So, «σκέπτομαι» (to think) ≠ «αμφιβάλλω» (to doubt) ≠ «φοβάμαι/φοβούμαι» (to be affrighted) ≠ «ανησυχώ» (to worry)