1. schmaetterlink Senior Member

Chicago, USA
    U.S., English
    Sirs and mesdames:

There is a passage in the Recherche where Proust writes "...une étrange et impitoyable glace à pieds quadrangulaires, barrant obliquement un des angles de la pièce, se creusait à vif dans la douce plénitude de mon champ visuel accoutumé un emplacement qui n’y était pas prévu..."

and the translation traditionally used in the English-speaking world, however problematic, (by C.K. Scott Moncrieff) renders it thus: "...a strange and pitiless mirror with square feet, which stood across one corner of the room, cleared for itself a site I had not looked to find tenanted in the quiet surroundings of my normal field of vision..."

There seems to be quite a discrepancy between the two phrases in bold print. Am I missing some idiomatic meaning of "douce plénitude"? I gave it a Google, and the jury is still out.

Anyone's input would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. NemoNobody

NemoNobody Senior Member

France métropolitaine
    French - France
    "douce plénitude": usually means the feeling of somebody "fulfilled".

>>>There seems to be quite a discrepancy between the two phrases in bold print<<<

"Traduttore, traditore" (translator, traitor) say Italians...

Perhaps "the sweet fullness of my field of vision" would be a closer translation of "la douce plénitude de mon champ visuel".

3. dnldnl Senior Member

Russian, Ukrainian
    I would translate douce plénitude as "the entire area": "in the entire area of my normal field of vision"