1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Draft

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Maroseika, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    A draft or a model document in Russian is called рыба - fish. This is, for example, a contract without names of the parties or without many details, etc.
    There is no reliable version why it is 'fish' in Russian, that is why I'm wondering whether it might be a calque from some foreign language.

How do you call colloquially such kind of a document in your language?

2. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    In Dutch maybe a 'first throw': een eerste worp. No fish, nothing else I can imagine right now.
    However, we do say: een visje uitwerpen/ uitgooien, to throw out a little fish, which we do when we try something and see whether anyone bites (i.e., reacts positively, or reacts at all). Could there be a link?

3. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French as well we say 'a first throw': "un premier jet" (a first sketch).
    Otherwise we just say "un brouillon".

4. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Interesting idea. In Russian we have semantically similar expression - закинуть удочку (lit. to throw a fishing rod) - to put out a feeler.
    However it is still too far from a "draft". For calqueing we need much more precise correspondence.

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Very interesting word. According to CNRTL it can be a congnate of German *brod (bouillon, cf. modern German bröd - rotten, foul) and therefore even Russian брод (ford < swampy place).
    But still no reference to a fish...

6. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Hebrew: the word is tyuta. borrowed from Aramaic. Literally "erasable" or "stained" (I saw both versions, not sure which is correct).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  7. Tjahzi

Tjahzi Senior Member

Umeå, Sweden
    Swedish (Göteborg)
    Swedish uses different words for template (an "empty" form ready to be filled in) and draft (a first version of a piece of written material).

The former is mall [malː] and the latter is utkast ['ʉːt.kast] (out-throw). In short, no fish-connection to here.

8. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    In Portuguese: draft - rascunho.

9. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Same here. Template is malli or pohja (bottom), and draft is luonnos (differently derived "creation", usually it is "luomus").

10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    But could you explain the origin of the word, Jazyk.

As for 'mal' : we know that word too, but I'd say it has little to do with drafts. Doesn't it?

11. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:
    «Προσχέδιο» (pro'sçeðio n.), compound formed with the joining together of the prefix and preposition «πρὸ» (prŏ)-->before, in front of + Classical adj. «σχέδιος-σχεδία-σχέδιον» ('sxĕdīŏs m./sxĕ'dīă f./'sxĕdīŏn n.)-->casual, temporary, sketchily; PIE base *segh-, to get, obtain.

[ç] is a voiceless palatal fricative

12. mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: Paunang sulat/ subok lang

13. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    magyar :: vázlat, piszkozat [no fish :)]

14. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Would both Mataripis and Encolpius be able to comment on the precise meaning of those words? (Thanks !)