dream of or dream about

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by tuvir, Nov 8, 2005.

1. tuvir Senior Member

Spain
    differences between these prepositions with the verb dream

2. gvergara

gvergara Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Español
    Hi:
    According to my Oxford dictionary, there is no difference between the usage of the prepositions of and about after the verb to dream; it may be advisable, however, that you wait on the opinion of a native speaker before jumping to a conclusion. See you

Gonzalo

3. MarkLondres Senior Member

Bogotá Colombia
    England/English
    I am not an expert in these matters, but for me "dream of" implies having something tangible. and "about" makes me think of "being"

i dream about being in italy
    i dream of having a large plate of pasta

only an opinion

Mark

4. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    The difference to me is that I dream about something when I am asleep.

I dream of something when I daydream or get lost in my thoughts.

Other than that, I can't see a difference.

Then, of course, there is "dream up", which is a different thing entirely. :)

5. gvergara

gvergara Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Español
    Hi Jacinta:
    I know you're a native speaker, Jacinta, but the dictionary says you can use them indifferently; you can even look up the verb "to dream" on www.wordreference.com and you'll see that. Seems to me that, like so many things in languages, each person has their own rules for using it. See you

Gonzalo

6. el alabamiano Senior Member

Alabama
    dream of (= imagine, want) He dreamt of becoming a singer.
    dream about (while sleeping) Last night I dreamt about you.

source: grammar "dream of"+"dream about (Google)

7. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    The word I think you want, gvergara, is interchangeably, not indifferently, if I understand you right.

Indifferent means that you don´t care one way or the other. It also means "lacking importance."

8. gvergara

gvergara Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Español
    Jacinta:
    Thanks for the explanation about the difference between indifferently and interchageably. Every day there are new things to learn. As to dream of/about, nobody seems to agree, not even books. See you all

Gonzalo

9. fira New Member

indonesian
    could any one help me translation for "you are my dream come true,and i'm so glad that i have you in my life"

thank you...

10. mjscott Senior Member

Into Bahasa Indonesia, or into Spanish?

11. fira New Member

indonesian
    translate into spanish please.
    hai mjscoot,do you can speak indonesia?

12. jpg New Member

españa

translation into spanish: eres mi sueño realidad y me alegro de tenerte en mi vida

13. xeico New Member

Spain (Spanish, Catalan)

well, the better translation to spanish is: "Eres mi sueño hecho realidad, y estoy contento de tenerte en mi vida"

14. kiskocolonia Senior Member

Bucharest
    Española - España

¡Esta explicación es perfecta! ¡¡¡Gracias!!!

15. dani_gxc New Member

SPANISH
    "Tú eres mi sueño hecho realidad, y yo estoy tan contento/alegre de tenerte en mi vida"

16. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Dream of y dream about son ambiguos los dos. Pueden ser intercambiables, con el sentido de que algo figure en un sueño, pero solo dream of puede indicar anhelo, y solo dream about puede decir que un sueño tiene que ver con algo sin decir que ese algo figure en el sueño.

Espero que tiene sentido lo que digo.

17. kiskocolonia Senior Member

Bucharest
    Española - España

Si si, se entiende. Pero para nosotros, los que estamos aprendiendo y no tenemos un nivel superelevado nos basta con la diferenciación de usar "dream about" cuando realmente lo hemos visto en un sueño mientras dormíamos, y "dream of" cuando es algo que anhelas, digamos que sueñas despierto con ello, mientras estás trabajando o mientras vas conduciendo tu coche. Usándolo así no nos líamos y es correcto y aceptado.

18. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Yo trataba de explicar por qué los nativos del inglés no coincidíamos (aveces "dream of" y "dream about" son diferentes, aveces no), y quise decir "Espero que tenga sentido."

19. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    ;)

20. Pablota86 Junior Member

Argentina - Castellano
    Dear Friends:

I have this sentence:

All my life I have dreamed of travelling around the world

and my doubt is I have to use Dream OF or Dream ABOUT.

Does anybody know where the difference is?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  21. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    In your sentence I prefer "of". We tend to use this preposition when we mean "to fantasise", "to daydream" or just that someone/something appeared in our dreams, eg: Last night I dreamt of you.
    "About" is used more when we are thinking of the whole content/story of a dream: I dreamt about winning a prize in the competition".
    That said, they are often interchangeable, and maybe someone else can give you some more clues.

22. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    As Inib wrote, the two are generally interchangeable. A couple of specific uses I can think of are:

1. when something is being imagined but it is uncertain whether or not it will happen, then I would use "of" as would Inib
    2. when something is planned, for example you have bought your tickets for a world trip, I would use "about": I dreamt about travelling around the world

I'm sure there are other guidelines.