drive someone crazy - mad

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Paulfromitaly, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)

Is the expression " to drive someone crazy / mad " always a synonym of "to irritate" , "to exasperate" , "to extremely annoy" or in some particular context it could also mean something like "to tease someone" or "to turn someone on" in a sexual way?
    Are crazy / mad interchangeable or does the use of mad convey a stronger degree of irritation?
  2. terrapin

terrapin New Member

To drive someone crazy can also mean to turn someone on or to excite them in some way, such 'I am crazy about you' means that they are emotionally or sexually turned on. Mad can be used in a similar way but lees often so. "to drive someone mad" would nearly always mean to irritate, but if someone was "mad about you" that could mean that they are emotionally or sexually turned on.
  3. Jenniferrrr Member

United States
    To tell someone "You drive me crazy" or "You make me crazy" usually means that they excite you and you have strong feelings for them.

"You are driving me crazy" usually means "You are annoying/bothering me"

Mad does have a stronger connotation. Crazy is more of a temporary state but mad means completely out of your mind--it sounds more permanent to me.
  4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Also, "you make me mad" in AE, at least, means "you make me angry", not "you drive me crazy." "He made me mad" is a common excuse from a child for hitting another child. :) It just means that he got angry.
  5. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    So an exclamation like "you drive me crazy!" has not a defined meaning without a context, correct?